Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

A new respect for NA cars.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:46 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough
Default A new respect for NA cars.

After going through my timeslips and talking with a few friends of mine, I've found a new reason to like NA cars. The reason is simple, turbo lag blows. HAHA. I drive a 94 Civic with a B16A Turbo. The car has a Precision 60 trim, 2.5 DP, and full 2.5 exhaust. The turbo is slightly oversized for the car, and doesn't make much, if any decent power until 4000-4500 RPM's. The tires on the car right now will not hook up at all, they are cheap, I admit, however, I only have GSR axles right now, and don't want to chance breaking anything. Launching the car at anything under 4000 would cause the car to bog drastically, and anything 4000 or over, even while slipping the clutch, would cause massive spinning and tire hop. I didn't get a 60 foot under 2.39 all day long, and my best run of the day was a 13.81 at 105.6mph, with a 2.5x 60 foot on 6psi. I tried turning up the boost, to see if I could pick up some time up top, but after running the car so many times, and with the heat and humidity yesterday, it didn't feel quite right, so I just gave up.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd
Default Re: A new respect for NA cars.

turbos all motor
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

So, you have a new respect for NA cars because yours doesn't hook up? I'm not seeing the connection, but we should run from a dig.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:14 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
So, you have a new respect for NA cars because yours doesn't hook up? I'm not seeing the connection, but we should run from a dig.
Not really a new respect. It'd just be nice to have a power curve that goes all the way through the RPM range, as opposed to a massive jump above 4k. A guy I was talking to up there had a b20 VTEC with stock suspension pulling 2.1s and below without a problem. I was jealous.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:17 PM
sup

SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE SCOOBY STEVE

MP5 (Mike) has one of the sexiest power curves I have seen on a boosted car.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

hornetsnest is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you should have a new respect for RWD and AWD cars rather than NA cars if traction is your issue...Oh well...I'd be pissed too if I poured all that money into a B16/60-Trim setup and could only pulloff high 13's...
Old 07-31-2005, 03:20 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Originally Posted by fucT
MP5 (Mike) has one of the sexiest power curves I have seen on a boosted car.
Mike has the same size turbo and a 25% increase in displacement over my car. My car makes nearly the same power as his, but nowhere near the torque numbers, and I don't spool nearly as fast either.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

Originally Posted by hornetsnest
Sounds like you should have a new respect for RWD and AWD cars rather than NA cars if traction is your issue...Oh well...I'd be pissed too if I poured all that money into a B16/60-Trim setup and could only pulloff high 13's...
I'm not pissed off because I only went 13.8. The car was on low boost, with a very rich setup (tuned for 10psi, not 6). Traction was not the issue, the lack of low end power, however, was.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Ditch the B16. They suck.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

hornetsnest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TPJ
I'm not pissed off because I only went 13.8. The car was on low boost, with a very rich setup (tuned for 10psi, not 6). Traction was not the issue, the lack of low end power, however, was.
Low end power is a fine line to walk with FWD. I can't speak for honda's, but FWD eclipses need bigger turbos for more top end because we can spin quite a bit off the line with a smaller turbo and too much power in the lower rpms.

I know that B16 has next to nothing for torque to get you off the line. Some guys have probably suggested doing another B or H series swap, but that'll be a lot more money. Ever considered running nitrious off the line? Maybe a 35 or 50 shot to pull you through the 60ft and into the powerband of your turbo...just a thought.

Quick Reply: A new respect for NA cars.