Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

New LED Project, need some input.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yzracer has disabled reputation
Default New LED Project, need some input.

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I go to Virginia Tech and own a 2000 B5 S4. So I have just received my new set of S6 DRL LED's. I intend to install them on my car. I currently have a reiger bumper. I used to have fog lights but the reiger RS4 replica bumper doesn't have fog light brackets, so I got rid of the fogs. Therefore, the fog light wires are waiting to be used behind the grills by the SMIC's. I intend to install the fog light wires to the S6 LED's and do the Fog lights on only mod to use them as a sort of DRL setup.

My questions to you guys are, does anyone have wiring diagrams for the fog light connectors by the bumper on an S4? Does anyone have experience with doing makeshift wiring like this? I am more of a mechanical guy and don't know much about electronics and wires, so I am learning slowly.

Any help on this project is appreciated. I don't know if anyone else has done this on these cars so I'm just winging it here. If anyone has electrical expertise and can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: New LED Project, need some input.

I don't know anything about that specific car, but I would assume that you would wire the fog light relay coil to the ignition switch so the lights are on when the car is on.. Usually DRLs are controlled by the E-Brake switch also, but I don't know if your car is setup like that. You could also wire them through the fog light switch like you would a set of fog lights, but wire the other side to enable from the ignition instead of the headlights. This way you can turn the LED DRLs off and on with the foglight switch if you want.

This should be a really easy thing to do; you'll have to take a look at the factory schematics and see what you have to work with.