Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

New clutch for my 05 taco x runner????

Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NismoPowerdQG has disabled reputation
Lightbulb New clutch for my 05 taco x runner????

i bought a used x runner in feb of this year. it had a bad transmission and i replaced it with a brand new toyota transmission. i dont have much knowlege on transmissions, so i asked a tech if my clutch looked like it needed replacing. he said he didnt see any signs of replace ment at this time. well need less to say i drive this truck every where. i bought it with 50,000 miles on it and it now has 70,000. the clutch is starting to slip and idk what route i should go, stock or aftermarket? any ideas?? thanks for the help and my bad for the newbness.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: New clutch for my 05 taco x runner????

Why would you want anything other than stock for your stock truck? But I'll go ahead and give you horrible advice; Go out and get a stage IV (at minimum) something. In fact, get a metallic/metallic disc w/ a high clamp pressure; you'll love it for your daily driving.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

haha well i wasent thinking of anything over maybe a stage 2 clutch but i was more interested in what brands that have the best prices and reliablity.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Spec, Exedy, etc. All your cheap entry level clutches are just gonna be pushed by whoever bought them and they worked. Everyone has their success story and will push their brand or their horror story and tell you to stay away. I have not however, heard of people saying stay away from stock replacements nor have I ever installed a stock clutch and had issues with it. (And i've done dozens of clutches). I've seen textralia's eat themselves to death, spec's frag, exedy's give up the ghost 5k miles in, etc.

But seriously, why do you even need a stage II? Usually stage II's have the same clamping pressure, but utilize a more aggressive disc material. This equates to faster wear. Unless you plan on modding your truck, honestly, just find a cheap stock replacement. Seeing how your clutch is already slipping at 70k means its been driven hard. A more aggressive clutch will just accelerate the issue.

If you're hell bent on continuing to drive your truck hard and want a little more bite, then just google some brands and look at what people have to say and weigh that against what they cost. A cheap Spec setup will do what you want.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Spec, Exedy, etc. All your cheap entry level clutches are just gonna be pushed by whoever bought them and they worked. Everyone has their success story and will push their brand or their horror story and tell you to stay away. I have not however, heard of people saying stay away from stock replacements nor have I ever installed a stock clutch and had issues with it. (And i've done dozens of clutches). I've seen textralia's eat themselves to death, spec's frag, exedy's give up the ghost 5k miles in, etc.

But seriously, why do you even need a stage II? Usually stage II's have the same clamping pressure, but utilize a more aggressive disc material. This equates to faster wear. Unless you plan on modding your truck, honestly, just find a cheap stock replacement. Seeing how your clutch is already slipping at 70k means its been driven hard. A more aggressive clutch will just accelerate the issue.

If you're hell bent on continuing to drive your truck hard and want a little more bite, then just google some brands and look at what people have to say and weigh that against what they cost. A cheap Spec setup will do what you want.
i have a few bolt ons and it is a good high 14 second truck. i have time slips to prove it. i dont get on the truck very much, i belive the previous owner was inexperianced or just didnt know how to drive a 6 speed very well. im pretty much just looking for the clutch that will give me the performance when i need it and the realiablity for DD. thank you for you help i will def. look into an OEM replacement. like i said im not a transmission guy im more of a motor head. thanks for the fast response, like i said i really appriciate it!