Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Need your Advice

Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts
Default Need your Advice

Im thinking about buying an air compressor for automotive work. Can someone point me in the direction towards what stats to look for ?

Im lost on how much psi least-max is good for automotive work. How much hp is needed. Whether oilless air compressors are worthy for the job? Also anyone have a good site or store to recommend? I found dirt cheap ones at harbor freight tools, any good?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Need your Advice

have you done *any* research? what tools you plan to use greatly determine the type of compressor you need.

oil less ones are loud, don't last as long, and low end. however, they meet the needs of most people.

twin stage, 230v with 60+ gallon tanks will run a shop using grinders, air hammers, and most tools.

look for cfm ratings @ 90 psi for comparison.

look on craigslist for some good deals on mid to upper end units. or just go to home depot and grab the $170 one on sale.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Digital4N6

have you done *any* research? what tools you plan to use greatly determine the type of compressor you need.

oil less ones are loud, don't last as long, and low end. however, they meet the needs of most people.

twin stage, 230v with 60+ gallon tanks will run a shop using grinders, air hammers, and most tools.

look for cfm ratings @ 90 psi for comparison.

look on craigslist for some good deals on mid to upper end units. or just go to home depot and grab the $170 one on sale.
Yes of course I tried to research this before making the thread, but found no related posts. Thanks for your input

Edit: What is the model of the one you say is one sale? Is it also on sale online?

Last edited by twinturbomeow; 03-30-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A higher pressure compressor will just give you more effective tank capacity, because you're going to be regulating the air pressure down anyway. So the important part is tank size and compressor flow, and which specs are right for you will depend on what tools you'll use and how long you'll be using them. For example, I used to do a lot of fiberglass work so I bought a compressor that could continuously output enough for my high flow gelcoat gun. If you're just using an impact gun or things like that, you don't really need a big tank or high flow. So you need to think about how you're going to use it and what those tools will require.

I'd stay away from cheap oil-less compressors though; the oiled compressors are almost as cheap nowadays and will last longer without worrying about replacing diapragms or things like that.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A higher pressure compressor will just give you more effective tank capacity, because you're going to be regulating the air pressure down anyway. So the important part is tank size and compressor flow, and which specs are right for you will depend on what tools you'll use and how long you'll be using them. For example, I used to do a lot of fiberglass work so I bought a compressor that could continuously output enough for my high flow gelcoat gun. If you're just using an impact gun or things like that, you don't really need a big tank or high flow. So you need to think about how you're going to use it and what those tools will require.

I'd stay away from cheap oil-less compressors though; the oiled compressors are almost as cheap nowadays and will last longer without worrying about replacing diapragms or things like that.
I dont know who you are, but you always provide a great response lol. Thank you
Old 03-30-2012, 06:16 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
Edit: What is the model of the one you say is one sale? Is it also on sale online?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100653165
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Banned

thank you !
CLOSE THREAD
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
thank you !
CLOSE THREAD
Okay.