Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Need WRX advice!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phxaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need WRX advice!

Hello everyone! I did a search before I posted to see if I could get the answers I was looking for. Had more facts, but not experience with the vehicle itself.

Short story: re-enlisting, buying myself a new present.

I have already been approved for an 03 WRX. I wanted something newer that comes factory with everything I want and a 4-door. Right now I have a 95 Prelude which I am almost finished with (for sale btw ) and my wife has a turbo hatch (also for sale). I am not by any means saying these are great cars, but to give you an idea of what I will be expecting: h22 hatch, h22 turbo lude (now n/a), b16 hatch (turd), and the rest were stock. I have never driven a rwd or awd vehicle. With that said, I will get back on topic of why I wanted help.

For the past 2 weeks I have been searching on nasioc(sp?), i-club, and I went through a couple of threads here. I would prefer to keep it local, but I looked in NY and FL. I found some really great cars, some stock and some light and heavy modded. I wanted something that was stock (maybe some bolt-ons) for the fact that I know nothing has been tampered with. But, I guess what I am asking is for some help and guidance to make sure I do not pick up something that is junk.

I have been reading up on the forums to gain as much information as I can, but I was wondering as far as maintanence issues, drivetrain issues, what would YOU look for if you were buying a used WRX. I will be taking whatever car I am interested to a mechanic (anyone recommend in Norfolk/VA Beach?) to have them go over with me. I will only be taking under 50k. But once it hits over 50k, are there any problems?

After I get done looking at this car today, I will post the specs on it and hopefully I can get some feedback. If you did read all of this, I really do appreciate the help. Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall
Default Re: Need WRX advice!

i'm also looking at WRX's....was aiming towards an '06 only because it's hard to know what kinda abuse a wrx or sti has been put thru by a previous owner. Figure when the '07's start rolling out i can probably get a good deal on an '06

good luck in your search...i've got my eyes on a '04 sti with 33,000 on it up here in NY if the '06 idea falls thru
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

As far as WRX's go the biggest thing i would be concerned about is the transmission. The "weak" spot is the shift from 1st to 2nd. If the person has been slamming gears or powershifting it will definately mess up the tranny. Right before my transmission fucked up, second gear felt very "sticky". It was rough to get into gear, and it would click or grind if it was put into gear without a little bit of finess. The tranny was also making alot of noise under deceleration w/o braking.

Another good thing to look at is to check the spark plugs. It you see white residue on the spark plugs thats usually a good sign of detonation within the motor. cylinder #3 is usually the "weak spot" on the EJ20 so i would definatley check that plug for signs of detonation or burning oil.

Even as far as somethign simple like oil changes, check the area where you actually fill the vehicle with oil. If it's nice and clean under the cap i would be a little more skepetical about proper oil changes(unless they can produce proper paperwork) than if there is some oil residue built up under and around the cap.

I'd check around in the engine bay if it's a "stock" car. I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, but i wouldn't be too anxious if your buying a WRX wagon from an older couple who say it's stock than buying a WRX from a 22 year old in the military who says it's "stock" and wants to sell so he can get the new EVO. Check some of the things like the screws holding on the stock BOV to the intercooler. They are VERY soft and use an allen wrench, so if someone has removed it or fucked with it you will see the screw has been rounded off a little bit or it will have a few scratches and chips in it. If they notice this and say "oh well..it did have a BOV but i put it back to stock" that would make me question what else was "put back to stock". The same could be said for the bolts connecting the exhaust. Those things can be a big pain in the ass to break lose, so look to see if they have any rounded edges or scratches on them.

Last edited by NEO_WRX; 07-25-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

^^ ... That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you sooo much. I will be taking this information to the mechanic even though I am sure he already knows. I did read up on the weak trannies. But here is the car I looked at today. Subie #1 I just wanted to see what we have locally first.

If you feel like there is something I should know and shouldnt be posted, please PM me.

Thanks again, I will keep everyone updated as my search continues, but untill then, there is Subie 1!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

Originally Posted by phxaz
Thanks again, I will keep everyone updated as my search continues, but untill then, there is Subie 1!
the description says "3 inch" up-pipe. Thats very incorrect. The stock up-pipe isn't even close to 3 inches and you have to jack up the motor just so it will have enough clearance to pull it out. I find it VERY hard to believe a 3 inch up-pipe would fit and i've never heard of anyone who sells one. It's little things like that, that make me suspicious of how well the other mods are done or what other false information he might be giving.

I also don't see any boost gauge in the car. So how does he know it's boosting at 17 lbs? i've tuned UTEC to a certain PSI but temperature changes/atmospheric changes can certainly adjust boost pressure and oxygen density.

and if it's the stock turbo why do you need a fuel rail? and if it's not the stock turbo it also needs a fuel pump and inejctors. (if it's any turbo upgrade i wouldn't even mess with it). Turbo upgrades = problems on subaru's plain and simple.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

The only gauge I saw, was the factory boost gauge. I thought they didnt even go that high?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Japanese Disease

Originally Posted by phxaz
The only gauge I saw, was the factory boost gauge. I thought they didnt even go that high?
i checked those pictures and i couldn't tell. The factory boost gauges read in bar(which is very gay). They do read higher than 17psi but again, it's in bar. I've also read before that the stock Subaru gauges aren't very reliable. Especially when dealing with an upgraded or aftermarket turbo-charger.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Bar is only ghey if you're american. Most of the rest of the world uses bar. Get over it.

Yes, the stock boost gauge sucks, it's tiny and not very accurate.
I'd look for a stock WRX, one with no mods. Clean slate, do what you want, and you know where it's been. I had to go to Maryland 2 years ago to get my 04, but it's worth it to be picky and shop around.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Why isn't the stock boost gauge accurate?

Everything about the stock one is exactly the same as any generic aftermarket one...except a little smaller.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Japanese Disease

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Bar is only ghey if you're american. Most of the rest of the world uses bar. Get over it.
i'm just an ignorant American that doesn't like checking his boost gauge and than thinking "what was X bar again??"