Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
1992+ BMW 325 coupe
23.08%
1998+ Subaru Impreza coupe
19.23%
1998+ Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
15.38%
1989+ Nissan 240sx Coupe
15.38%
1987+ Ford Mustang Notch
23.08%
1982+ Chevy Camaro
7.69%
1987+ Mazda RX7
15.38%
Brock is Gay!!!
38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Need opinions/options for new project....

Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Need opinions/options for new project....

This premise is useless without knowing what you're shooting for. Too many variables. BMW with LS swap? Audi with less boring styling? Mustang for a drag car? Why did you pick those cars?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Originally Posted by ufctapout
Vanagon.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
Not that fast though.

Toss one in a Miata, sure.

edit: But likely fast enough…yes.
The miata was one on my original bucket list but I want something with some kind of comfort zone and room if I decide to make a trip in it before full track car so I can put needed tools and such in it. Miata's are just so small and lack for comfort issues. Being 6'5 and over 200lbs doesn't help.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

Originally Posted by Slooby
The miata was one on my original bucket list but I want something with some kind of comfort zone and room if I decide to make a trip in it before full track car so I can put needed tools and such in it. Miata's are just so small and lack for comfort issues. Being 6'5 and over 200lbs doesn't help.
Yea, you a big bitch.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
This premise is useless without knowing what you're shooting for. Too many variables. BMW with LS swap? Audi with less boring styling? Mustang for a drag car? Why did you pick those cars?
Well I picked cars that I like mainly or wanted to play with, and I know the Audi's are pigs when it comes to weight but I had one and they were fun to drive. I have never owned a E36 but I like the way they look and know of a few people who track them, some are M3's but with my starting budget I know I will never see a M3. Mustangs take a lot to get them to handle for road track cars, I'm more looking for something to use on road courses and maybe an occasional straight line or ect.

Overall goals:
Aftermarket support for suspension
Likable styling
engine swap possibilities outside of factory make
great all around track-able car
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
Yea, you a big bitch.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Well the RX7 would be a great candidate if you got rid of the rotary in favor of an LS engine or SBF in my opinion. If you're not game for swapping engines though, I believe I would stay with the BMW. Those are relatively cheap, but you can still get parts with ease. They have great aftermarket support and whatever you would want to do has already been done by someone, so keep that in mind. The foxbody mustang is a great platform, but the vibe that I get from you tells me that you probably won't be happy with it once it's done.(I don't mean any offense by that, seriously. I just think you'd be better suited in the BMW)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

D_Eclipse9916 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ej1995
Well the RX7 would be a great candidate if you got rid of the rotary in favor of an LS engine or SBF in my opinion. If you're not game for swapping engines though, I believe I would stay with the BMW. Those are relatively cheap, but you can still get parts with ease. They have great aftermarket support and whatever you would want to do has already been done by someone, so keep that in mind. The foxbody mustang is a great platform, but the vibe that I get from you tells me that you probably won't be happy with it once it's done.(I don't mean any offense by that, seriously. I just think you'd be better suited in the BMW)
Swapping engines is actually tougher in an rx7 than a bmw. My own LS project...

If you want to start racing (as in real racing, not ZOMG I went on track im a RACERZZZZ or ZOMG I TIME ATTACKZ), look towards NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA classing and determine what "level" you ultimately want to end up.
There are Spec classes, power to weight classes, limited mod classes. A 93-95 325i is a great starter car that can start out in STX autocross SCCA classing, or DSP with more mods. For road racing it can be in TTD for time trials, then go to Spec3/GTS2 in NASA with limited mods or GTS3/4/5, ST1/2/3 if you feel like you got a bigger budget and want engine swaps. There is also a wealth of modifications that sell used on the forums and while interiors/electronics fail, the E36 is an extremely robust and strong racer.

Mustang/Miata also have similiar classing structures so they would be high-choices.

The E36 became my choice for a race car...
Old 01-15-2014, 11:05 AM
±RepLegion

92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20

Just an FYI, the 3rd gen Camaros with the 5.7L didn't come stock with a manual transmission. I'd probably say the cheapest/easiest to work on out of the bunch would be the Mustang, parts are cheap and easy to find on top of there being a huge selection of aftermarket options.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Originally Posted by D_Eclipse9916
Swapping engines is actually tougher in an rx7 than a bmw. My own LS project...

If you want to start racing (as in real racing, not ZOMG I went on track im a RACERZZZZ or ZOMG I TIME ATTACKZ), look towards NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA classing and determine what "level" you ultimately want to end up.
There are Spec classes, power to weight classes, limited mod classes. A 93-95 325i is a great starter car that can start out in STX autocross SCCA classing, or DSP with more mods. For road racing it can be in TTD for time trials, then go to Spec3/GTS2 in NASA with limited mods or GTS3/4/5, ST1/2/3 if you feel like you got a bigger budget and want engine swaps. There is also a wealth of modifications that sell used on the forums and while interiors/electronics fail, the E36 is an extremely robust and strong racer.

Mustang/Miata also have similiar classing structures so they would be high-choices.

The E36 became my choice for a race car...
I'm really starting to lean towards the E36, I think they just have a great look and have seen a lot of them turn track rats. I'm definitely looking in to road course, but will probably start with autocross then work my way up.

I use to be all about straight line then started owning better built/quality cars and enjoyed the feel of being about to just drive, I found it on my old wrx wagon playing on back roads with tight turns and up/down ward slopes. Then my old S14 with minor suspension mods, then my rx8 which was all kinds of fun but a pig in weight.

Quick Reply: Need opinions/options for new project....