Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Need new tires

Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh
Default Need new tires

Just recently my camaro failed inspection because my front tires were a little too bald so it's time to get 2 new ones.

I'm not really looking for which tires are best, but more so which type of tires are best.

I've got two new BFG kdw on the rears and they hook up decently enough for me so I'm thinking about getting a hard, long-lasting tire for up front that will handle good enough and has plenty of tread life.

Basically it's between goodyear eagle f1 gsd3, the BFG kdw, or the BFG kd if I go for performance.

OR

Some sort of kuhmo or some shit tire that will handle "good enough" and last a while.

The car won't be driven much this coming up year, and I don't drive it extremely hard every time I get in it. It's strictly a street car that gets beaten on occasionally but gets a pretty good share of the twisties.

Thanks.

Last edited by catfSSh; 07-08-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Default Re: Need new tires

i got a set of khumo escta AST for 41$ a piece at tirerack.com

that was for 195/50/15s tho

they do me just fine.

kinda sticky, minimal road noise, and a stiff sidewall
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

i've got goodyear f1 gsd3s on the rears and I really like them.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by travisnd
i've got goodyear f1 gsd3s I really like them.
+1

Plus, they're the nicest looking tire on the market.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Turbo FTW has disabled reputation

out of the 3 your mentioned, i'd look into GSD3's, was happy with the set i had on one of my older cars. ive been less than impressed with BFG KDW's though, every set ive had (including KDW2's) have been out of round, and noisey as hell.

another tire worth looking at is falkens, ive had great luck with both the FK-452, and the RT-615. the RT-615 is a little loud too, but for as long as they last, they hook like glue. im currently using a set of 275/40/17 FK-452's for my front runners, and have had the car well about 160 and everything is just smooth, and quiet. i highly recommend them.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by travisnd
i've got goodyear f1 gsd3s on the rears and I really like them.
Really liking them is an understatement. I've driven an auto SS with them and they hook like nobody's business. I'm just not sure if I will need 4 "agressive" tires on a rwd car that won't see much hard driving except for some windy back roads and a few launches here and there.

For me, the decision is pretty straight forward; either get a performance tire like the gsd3 or the kd.... Or get a borderline passenger tire that will last an extremely long time and be suffecient on curvy roads since they will stay up front for summer times.

Originally Posted by XCELR8
+1

Plus, they're the nicest looking tire on the market.
Let me just say I REALLY like the gsd3. I literally couldn't get a 320whp auto SS to break them loose from a stop. I guarantee that bitch was cutting 1.8 60's in the street.
Originally Posted by 07 FG2
You know i started a thread on this literally like 5 threads down......
Kinda sorta. The tire I'm going to be using is a 275/40/17

I already know if I go for a performance tire it will be the gsd3 or the kd. I'm not looking for honda kids to rush in here and tell me their kuhmo's hook mad crazy.

The only real advise I'm looking for is BFG kd vs Goodyear eagle f1 gsd3... Or which shitty tire can hug tires decent and last a long time.

How is the tread life on the bfg gforce ta or the kuhmo ecsta? They won't hook for shit on my car, but they look like they might make a decent tire for up front.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

The main difference between the GS-D3 and the BFG KD will be wet performance. The GS-D3 is the leader of the pack in wet performacnce. Both tires will be pretty equal in the dry, though. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but based on the fact that the GS-D3 looks nicer, that's what I'd go with.

I'd stay away from a cheap, touring tire on your car. That just wouldn't jive with me for some reason...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by XCELR8
The main difference between the GS-D3 and the BFG KD will be wet performance. The GS-D3 is the leader of the pack in wet performacnce. Both tires will be pretty equal in the dry, though. Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but based on the fact that the GS-D3 looks nicer, that's what I'd go with.

I'd stay away from a cheap, touring tire on your car. That just wouldn't jive with me for some reason...
I know what you mean about getting a run-of-the-mill tire on the SS.
But all next year I'll have the Samurai up at college so the Camaro won't get driven much at all.

I'm probably just going to get the gsd3 since I've loved them since I've driven them...it seems like a long tread life tire that grips on turns doesn't really exist judging from this thread.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Pressuah has disabled reputation

get some blizzacks

sorry for spellinggg
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Pressuah
get some blizzacks

sorry for spellinggg
English mother fucker.

Speak it.

Quick Reply: Need new tires