Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

need help with wheel/tire options (as well as body work stuff)

Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aggent15 has disabled reputation
Default need help with wheel/tire options (as well as body work stuff)

I just realized I think I posted this thread in the wrong section, my bad.

I tried searching and came up with a lot of really vague explanations, or none at all. I did try searching so before all the "hey try the search function next time" comments pop up I'm looking for legit help after attempting myself haha.

Ok I am getting some new wheels and tires for a 2005 sti. I have never bought wheels for a car before (except 1) so when I got the ones on my sti now I just did the wheelsnext thing where you put in your car and they tell you your options. This time I want to put in a little more effort and planning into the purchase. Currently I have 18x8's with a 35offset. The tires are 225/40/18's and I needed the rears rolled a LITTLE bit.

Next set I'm looking at is rota grids in a 18x9.5 with a 20 offset. I want to bring it a little more flush with the fenders and run some wider rims. I was told that I could run the same size tires on the new wheels and they'll be fine but I just have a few questions to ask before I make a purchase. I want some input from different people/experiences so I'm SURE. And yes I will be on coilovers, and splash guards are gone too.

What I'm wondering is:
-Obviously, what fender modifications will this require? How tough of a fitment will it be?
-Will stretching the tire like that affect the lifespan of the tire? If so, how bad? I know it's not NEARLY as bad of a stretch as some VW guys but I figure it would has SOME factor
-Is it dangerous to stretch a tire even this much? Referring to high speeds(120-130+), hard cornering, etc.
-Does anybody, by chance, have PICS of this setup on an 05? If so that would be REALLY helpful.
-What tires should I run? I don't want to say money is not an option, but I'm def not gonna cheap out...and I don't want something that will wear out super fast
-Any other helpful tips/tricks I should consider.
-WHERE around here (virginia beach-newport news area) can do really good fender pulls. Somebody suggested sage auto but I wasn't sure. Any input would be helpful

This is the look I'm going for, maybe not THAT low, but pretty close.

Below are some pics I found online of what the stretch would look like (not on a wrx, but the stretch is the only focus for now)

Last edited by Aggent15; 01-18-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Re: need help with wheel/tire options (as well as body work stuff)

1 - I can do all of your fender work

2- My friend has 18X9.5 +35s with 255/35s on his 05 STi, he is only on springs, the set up would be amazing with coilovers...I think it would look like that black one above, except you would need smaller tires (he might have 225/40s).

I would recommend some 18X9.5s between a +28 and +33 and a 245/35 or 235/35/18, the smaller tire for the lower offset. I am not sure how a 9.5 +20 would fit, I don't know enough about WRX/STI fitment. I know what the 9.5 +35s look like though, and with his camber settings ~2 inches lower it would look awesome.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Registered member

well like I said the 18x8's with the 35 offset I have on there now sit just shy of flush (with 225/40's) so I know that the 18x9.5's with a 20 will poke. I think I'm going to have to run the bigger tires because I don't want to lose any handling or anything. I kinda drive like a prick so I need it to perform and be able to hang on haha. I was reading around the different threads on here and saw that everybody recommended you (wishihadasilvia) but saw everybody mentioning you doing fender rolls. So I was meaning to pm you to see if you can do pulls as well. It won't be for a minute because the car is about to go in for some engine work then also for some body work. Well actually, I guess it would make sense to do this BEFORE it gets painted haha. I'm just trying to be sure of everything before I make a purchase. And the rims on the black wrx are the exact ones I'm getting. In THAT color, they only come in 18x9.5 with a 20.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

You have to sacrifice some performance if you want that kind of tire stretch and that kind of fitment.

I would just put the 225/40s on the 9.5s and do the fender work around that - BEFORE body work/paint, haha.

This is 18X9.5 +38 with a 255/35 - I think you have to run a 5mm spacer up front if you have the Brembos.

They make them in other sizes in the black.

For reference,the 9.5 +20 will fit 34mms further out then your current set up. That's pretty significant.

Last edited by WishIHadaSilvia; 01-18-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered member

^^^^that's the flat black though, I'm goin for the yamaha gloss black

can I do the 45's or 55's and pull for that so I have performance as well as look??

Last edited by Aggent15; 01-18-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 AM
I Roll Fenders

I honestly don't think so, not with a +20. They will be 3/4 of an inch further out then those flat black ones above. I had to pull my friend's fenders to fit the 255s on his +38s - the rears of the 05 STIs don't have fender lips and they pull really weird, and not very much. You might be able to do a 235/35/18.

Since you have 225/40s already you need to just put one of those on one of the 9.5 +20s and test fit it when they come in, then order tires from there or use the 225/40s.

You'll get more performance with a 225/40 and less camber then you will with a 245/35 and more camber.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered member

I just wasn't sure if stretching the 225's would be enough to cause the "cupping" or whatever it's called in the tires. So I thought getting a 45 and not stretching would flatten out the contact patch but it definitely makes sense that I wouldn't be getting any benefit of a wider tire if i have to tip it at an angle to fit it.....hmmm decisions decisions
Old 01-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

typeswerx has disabled reputation

Not sure about the spacers and such you would have to run but here a descent url for that issue.
http://www.tyrestretch.com/index.php
good luck post pics after!!!