Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Need help with S2000

Old 09-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QuickV6 has disabled reputation
Default Need help with S2000

I have a 2000 Honda s2000 with only 32k miles. I only had the car about a month and I recently had a check engine light come on. Therefore, I took it to a Honda dealership in Texas because I am TDY here for K-9 school. The Honda dealership told me that my Air pump was bad and that is what was causing my check engine light to go on. They told me that it was going to cost me $1160 for parts and labor plus tax. I thought no big deal because I purchased a warranty at the dealership; unfortunately, the warranty company told me that it is an emission problem and that it was not covered under the warranty. I was wondering where I could get an Air pump for a better price. Is this a common problem with the s2000? Any advice is helpful.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:45 PM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....
Default Re: Need help with S2000

I don't have advice on where to get a pump, but I'd call the dealership you got the car from and ask them about it. If you've only had the car for a month, they should be able to help you out.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

How hard is it to change out an air pump? I think your best bet would be finding a replacement pump via a private seller or maybe even a junk yard. I don't know if NAPA/Auto Zone/Advance/Pep Boys would carry such a part or not, but I'd definitely try. What the dealership is trying to charge you is a rip off... of course, dealerships aren't well know for not being the cheapest route either.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

QuickV6 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Assassin
I don't have advice on where to get a pump, but I'd call the dealership you got the car from and ask them about it. If you've only had the car for a month, they should be able to help you out.
I already did they told me that the car is sold AS-IS and pretty much said good luck.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

Originally Posted by Revs_2_9k
I already did they told me that the car is sold AS-IS and pretty much said good luck.
This is exactly why I fuckin hate warranties. The shit that breaks isn't covered. The only thing my warranty was good for was replacing my fading CF spoiler. Fuck dealerships and fuck warranties.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Assassin
This is exactly why I fuckin hate warranties. The shit that breaks isn't covered. The only thing my warranty was good for was replacing my fading CF spoiler. Fuck dealerships and fuck warranties.
Thats why I will never buy a new car and spend money on a warranty.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Design and Defect Warranty Coverage for 1995 and newer light-duty vehicles:

Emission control and emission related parts are covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use; and
Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use.

Emission Control Parts

Air Injection System
Air pump
diverter, bypass, or gulp valve
reed valve
anti-backfire or deceleration valve

Take it to a Honda dealership they are required by law to replace it for either 8 years or 80,000 miles................
Old 09-18-2006, 03:20 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Well, you don't really NEED the air pump so don't lose any sleep over that. The thing is only really there to warm up the cat during cold-starts.

Now you just have to decide if you just want to get rid fo the CEL or if you actually want another pump. If you want another pump you could always find a used one on s2ki (the track guys take them off their cars all the time). You could risk getting one from a wrecked car but I wouldn't since the pumps are pretty easily damaged in accidents.

If you just want to get rid of the CEL without a new pump that's a different story. The easiest way to do that is an aftermarket ECU like Mugen or Spoon. They're pricey, but they won't ever trip a CEL for stupid shit like the air pump and the'll give your engine a little more squirt. And if you're looking at spending over a grand anyway then why not?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by dave22
Well, you don't really NEED the air pump so don't lose any sleep over that. The thing is only really there to warm up the cat during cold-starts.

Now you just have to decide if you just want to get rid fo the CEL or if you actually want another pump. If you want another pump you could always find a used one on s2ki (the track guys take them off their cars all the time). You could risk getting one from a wrecked car but I wouldn't since the pumps are pretty easily damaged in accidents.

If you just want to get rid of the CEL without a new pump that's a different story. The easiest way to do that is an aftermarket ECU like Mugen or Spoon. They're pricey, but they won't ever trip a CEL for stupid shit like the air pump and the'll give your engine a little more squirt. And if you're looking at spending over a grand anyway then why not?
Does the air pump have anything to do with fuel economy and/or performance?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Nope. It's just there to help light off the cat. Not having one might be a problem at inspection time but I doubt it. Other than that the only problem is the CEL.

Quick Reply: Need help with S2000