Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Moving to Germany... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck
Default Moving to Germany... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

So, I just came under orders to move to Germany (outside Nuremburg). I have this SRT8 I just purchased for dirt cheap. I have several courses of action:

-Spend $1500 shipping my 300 SRT8 overseas and another $1500 on the way back and keep it
-Spend $1500 shipping it overseas and selling in a couple years- apparently Germans will pay ANYTHING for an SRT/Shelby/Boss/ZL1 etc.
-Sell 300 SRT8 and buy a 2014 335i
-Sell 300 SRT8 and buy a 2014 CLA45 AMG
-Sell 300 SRT8 and buy a beater for 1-2 years, save about 10-15k and buy a 2015/16 M3
-Sell 300 SRT8 and buy a beater for 1-2 years, save about 10-15k and buy a 2012/3 M5

Fuck...

I didn't see this PCS coming.

Now my car situation is confused like Harry Connick Jr. is with his sexuality.

At least I speak the language and can make drive game challenges like YCPNTA 17th century castle- thus, ensuring a victory.

Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Registered member

valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1
Default Re: Moving to Germany... Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Sounds like you got a good deal on the car so you just gotta decide if it's more profitable to sell it here or there. While I'm sure we would love seeing the SRT tear up the autobahn/ring and you could probably find a diehard enthusiast to sell to, I'd personally just sell it here and be less worried about shipping/insuring/registering/hassles etc over there. Then just find a used M3 sedan. Or, sell and get the new S3.

If only your choices, then new 335i.

Last edited by valdaviper1; 03-13-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Originally Posted by djyuck
-Sell 300 SRT8 and buy a 2014 335i
jelly
Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM
I H8 MY CAR

FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx

If you have PCS orders...why can't you have the it shipped under the military's dime? Already planning on shipping another vehicle?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FLiPrayZin240sx
If you have PCS orders...why can't you have the it shipped under the military's dime? Already planning on shipping another vehicle?
Yes, the wife wins with the seven-seater SUV for them chi-rin (as they say in Louisiana).
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Yes, the wife wins with the seven-seater SUV for them chi-rin (as they say in Louisiana).
hate to bring up personal finance to the discussion but i can't help but correlate military, enough children to require a 7-seater suv, and $50,000+ luxury sports cars.

i can't give prudent advice based on this statistical anomaly.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blackout
hate to bring up personal finance to the discussion but i can't help but correlate military, enough children to require a 7-seater suv, and $50,000+ luxury sports cars.

i can't give prudent advice based on this statistical anomaly.
I'll be the same rank as LH in a year (although he may be one higher in a year, too).
I wasn't poor before I joined.
There- now, have at it...
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by valdaviper1
Sounds like you got a good deal on the car so you just gotta decide if it's more profitable to sell it here or there. While I'm sure we would love seeing the SRT tear up the autobahn/ring and you could probably find a diehard enthusiast to sell to, I'd personally just sell it here and be less worried about shipping/insuring/registering/hassles etc over there. Then just find a used M3 sedan. Or, sell and get the new S3.

If only your choices, then new 335i.

Originally Posted by ufctapout
jelly
Damnit, Driven is always right. I know the 335i (xdrive) is the best bet across the board. WILCO.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

I'll be the same rank as LH in a year (although he may be one higher in a year, too).
I wasn't poor before I joined.
There- now, have at it...
Ok, fair enough. I can't remember what lh was, last I knew he was a major? Anyway I just couldn't with clear conscience advise some poor e-5 schmuck who maybe got a reenlistment bonus to go out and buy a $75k m3.

So I'd advise against and for a 335i in the same breath. I'm actually going to replacing mine with very likely an sti in the very near future. It's a great car but overengineered to the fullest degree. That isn't such a great thing all the time. It's not built for the track; I'd have to at a minimum upgrade the diff and brakes to make it competent for a track day. Plus these things are so finicky. BMW is pretty good at taking care of the many problems you may encounter- right up until that warranty expires. Then you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? You could get similar performance and amenities for less- but it wouldn't be a bmw, of course...

And then there's still always the inferiority complex of not having an m3/4. It's real. And those cars are great too if money is no object- but it always is, isn't it?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blackout
Ok, fair enough. I can't remember what lh was, last I knew he was a major? Anyway I just couldn't with clear conscience advise some poor e-5 schmuck who maybe got a reenlistment bonus to go out and buy a $75k m3.

So I'd advise against and for a 335i in the same breath. I'm actually going to replacing mine with very likely an sti in the very near future. It's a great car but overengineered to the fullest degree. That isn't such a great thing all the time. It's not built for the track; I'd have to at a minimum upgrade the diff and brakes to make it competent for a track day. Plus these things are so finicky. BMW is pretty good at taking care of the many problems you may encounter- right up until that warranty expires. Then you have to ask yourself, is it worth it? You could get similar performance and amenities for less- but it wouldn't be a bmw, of course...

And then there's still always the inferiority complex of not having an m3/4. It's real. And those cars are great too if money is no object- but it always is, isn't it?
I owned the 2012 335i, and the car was truly superb. I probably was stupid to sell it, but it was prolly a good idea since I wouldn't want to spend 3K in shipping over there and back anyways.

Yeah, I just wish I knew more about the M3. I know the starting price. I could get it, but I don't want to stretch myself at all, I like to be comfortable. If I saved up about ten grand and bought a demo with a couple thousand miles, I'd be golden. Although, I don't even know if this M3 comes in AWD- I doubt it. In Germany I will definitely need it especially since I'll be living in the foothills of mountains.

Quick Reply: Moving to Germany... Decisions, decisions, decisions...