Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

mounting a tire on a barely-bent rim!

Old 02-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kreuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mounting a tire on a barely-bent rim!

so, i have this rim slightly dented on the inside lip. the place i took it told me it would crack if he tried to fix it, since i banged 90% of the dent out with a mallet.

before i banged the dent out, it would leak air slowly, and wouldn't hold much air, maybe 15psi. i promptly took it off and did what i could (this was a few months ago mind you) and low and behold, it wasn't perfect, but it held any amount of air (40psi), didn't leak, and on the back it didn't cause any irregularities in driving, couldn't even tell from driving that it had a dent. I drove it for months like this with zero problems whatsoever.

so, this brings me to the problem. just the other day i noticed why it no longer holds air. theres a small gash on the inside wall of the tire, almost like someone reached back there with a box cutter and sliced 2 inches across. at the time, i thought my rim had gotten worse, or the seal between the tire and rim broke, because one day it just stopped holding air.

THE QUESTION: I know that you cant balance a tire on a bent rim. That is understandable. I don't care if it's balanced honestly, I can't order a new rim (discontinued, and trust me ive looked), and im not trying to buy a new set.

If i brought the rim with a new tire, or even bought the tire from them, who would MOUNT a new tire on a rim like this locally, knowing it wont balance? I mean i'd tell them ahead of time im just trying to get the wheel functional, i'm not too concerned at the moment with the possible reprocussions of it not being 'perfect'. my other option is an $800+ bill for some new 'cheap' rims. Anyone know of a place that would mount for me for the right price?

Last edited by kreuz; 02-14-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:44 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: mounting a tire on a barely-bent rim!

Nothing's worse than a cheap BMW owner.

Buy some rims.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Nothing's worse than someone who comments without knowing wtf theyre talking about.

I just bought the damn rims last fall, im not putting down another grand on 4 new rims over a discontinued, slightly bent rim. Thats called..

being STUPID. for you to suggest it, in turn, makes you the same.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

why dont u just go get it professionally fixed?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:07 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kreuz
Nothing's worse than someone who comments without knowing wtf theyre talking about.

I just bought the damn rims last fall, im not putting down another grand on 4 new rims over a discontinued, slightly bent rim. Thats called..

being STUPID. for you to suggest it, in turn, makes you the same.
Replacing defective rims is stupid? No.

Fucking your rims up and trying to roll on it anyways because you're too cheap to buy new rims is stupid or cheap. Judging by your overly defensive reaction I'm guessing you bought your bimmer to look like a baller, even though you're not one.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by blaxican25
Replacing defective rims is stupid? No.

Fucking your rims up and trying to roll on it anyways because you're too cheap to buy new rims is stupid or cheap. Judging by your overly defensive reaction I'm guessing you bought your bimmer to look like a baller, even though you're not one.

uhm, dude, i make a simple post on this board, and within seconds you reply to it calling me a "cheap bmw owner", and to buy some rims. thats disrespectful first of all .. i don't call you a cheap nissan owner. not to mention your second reply is also towards the subject of the brand of my car, and why i bought it. why do you care? i dont care why you bought your car, and i dont make judgements about your possessions without knowing the extent of the damage, much less judgements about your money. i clearly said its just 1 rim thats a bit messed up, not "defective wheels". it seems like you have the prob. and i replied defensively because im used to people shitting on threads w/pointless crap or insults, i mean what were you bringing to the table? insults and judgement right? well its not needed. im not a fucking baller, and my car was cheap mmkay.

im just trying to get by like everyone else mang, im not rich, quite the opposite, and im trying cut a corner. obviously if the rim and tire held complete air for months, and i noticed nothing bad while driving whatsoever, that the rim is barely dented to begin with. this is why i dont want to drop a grand on a whole new set, and this is also while i drove around on my rim after i "fucked it up" as you put it. if the shits fucked up im not gonna drive on it dude, its obviously not very messed up at all. but i thought i communicated that properly in my original post, guess not.

ne ways, i can't get it professionally fixed because i've already doctored it when i "fixed" it, and they don't wanna crack it. the style is discontinued, and all i need is a goddamn tire. so i just wanna know who would mount a tire on a barely-messed-up wheel knowing it wont balance perfectly. your lucky i have time to waste writing this shit.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:39 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

Where do you live? I'll put it on for you, as long as its not horribly bent (got a pic?). If its on the inner lip theres no way I can damage it anymore. The tire goes on from the outer lip, unless its a reversible rim, which is doubtful. I work at Treadquarters in Grafton, stop by sometime tomarrow and I'll get you fixed up.

As far as a "defective" rim goes, why is it defective? I get people with bent lips all the time. It doesnt mean the wheel is defective, it just means they cant drive for shit. I would only replace it if its causing the wheel not to hold air. As far as balancing goes, you can balance it just fine. It wont be AS good as if the rim werent bent, but itll still balance out.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Just take it to a shop and see if they will mount/balance it. I do it and will tell them they will have further issues being the rim is bent, I then note it on the r/o and then they sign the receipt so I am covered. Done it plenty of times. It also depends on how badly it is bent too. if it will hold air, I will do it, if not,see ya.

For future referance, try not to buy rims that might be discontinued, if at all possible.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Syzle is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem. I had a rim that was cracked a tiny bit. At first I tried to rig it up so it'd hold air. I had my buddy put a tire on for me since no local shop would do it after seeing the crack. I drove on it for awhile realizing that I didn't want to junk those wheels because of one crack (the wheels were discontinued). I was driving down the interstate one day and the tire went flat almost instantly and came almost completely off the wheel, and the back end slid out a little and I skidded to a stop. I coulda wrecked my car and hit someone else, too. I then purchased brand new wheels and realized how dumb I was for risking it on a bad wheel.

If the bend is minor, and a local shop will do it, sure go ahead. But if you have more problems, afterwards, just take the hit and get new ones. Its the only thing between your car and the pavement and you don't want to risk it.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by NoReverse
Where do you live? I'll put it on for you, as long as its not horribly bent (got a pic?). If its on the inner lip theres no way I can damage it anymore. The tire goes on from the outer lip, unless its a reversible rim, which is doubtful. I work at Treadquarters in Grafton, stop by sometime tomarrow and I'll get you fixed up.
Thank you so much! I live in Newport News, so you're not too far. I need to buy the tire first, unless you have a 215/40/18 tire for sale over there that is high performance. Otherwise .. i will get the tire and then come to you. I'll probably swing by anyways if you don't have a tire like that in stock, so you can tell me if it'll be straight. When i say its on the inner lip, i mean the lip closest to the inside of the wheel well, they arent reversable. Thanks again.. by the way, whats your first name? So i can ask for you, I'm Rocky.

Quick Reply: mounting a tire on a barely-bent rim!