Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

modified car questions

Old 06-04-2003, 06:41 PM
VIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts
Question modified car questions

so would you be able to pass inspection if you have altered the engine? for example: supercharger? turbocharger(s)? engine swaps?

and if you get pulled over and a cop checks under the hood of your car and sees its not stock, can they impound your car or write you a ticket?

just wanted to know. thanks
Old 06-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668

you can still pass inspection...never open your hood for a cop...they have right to ask..we dont have emissions so it doesnt concern them
Old 06-04-2003, 09:42 PM
VIP

LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts

oh ok...finally get an answer thanks man

will start researching then
Old 06-05-2003, 04:00 AM
EVO VIII PILOT

Frank is an unknown quantity at this point

Engine swaps and most mods are ok for inspections purposes. Make sure you go to a mechanic that you know for your inspections, that way, they can cut you some slack.

You cannot pass a FULL inspection (basically one done by an anal mechanci) if you have:

A valve cover breather - this vents into the atmosphere.

An external wastegate - for general purposes the same thing.

Air intake without a CARB exempt stick.

Non registered turbo

Non carb exempt headers

Etc.

HOWEVER, most mechanics would never begin to even look for this stuff. And, most cops don't have a clue what these things are anyway.

Also, I've failed inspection for a decal on the front windshield of my old TALON.

Removing the backseats IS ok...even the back seat belts. You can remove any seat and belts as long as its not the drivers seat. A seat cannot be in the car though without belts.

Racing seats with harnesses WILL pass VA inspection.

LOUD, BIG, NASTY mufflers WILL pass VA inspection....but they're illegal....go figure...jerks.

No muffler WILL pass VA inspection.

Altered Brakes (Upgrades) will pass....as long as they are operational.

I'm not sure about light modifications. Just revert clear corners back to stock and take off those black lense covers and you should be alright.

When it comes to inspections, I've been through and seen it all. I've asked a lot of questions before going too. I had to fully modded Talons that were in jeopardy. I just got all the info I could and went to the right places. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:46 AM
VIP

yeah thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Frank
No muffler WILL pass VA inspection.
so it's legal to drive without a muffler?
Old 06-05-2003, 05:32 AM
EVO VIII PILOT

Frank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mufflers

Nope:

You WILL pass VA State Inspection if you have no muffler.

But, the cops can give you a ticket for it.

Go figure, but, I assure you that this is the case.

Shouldn't the VA state inspection make any mods that pass legal. I've always thought about using that as a court defense...

"Well your judginess, my car passed the VA State Inspection as is. Therefore, I couldn't have anything on my car that is illegal."
Old 06-05-2003, 05:33 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

just make sure you have a catalytic converter, usual safety equipment, your lights work and youre not a smartass to the mechanic and you should be alright

supposedly you wont pass with an aftermarket steering wheel if your original wheel had an airbag. also in CA where they do smog testing all the time, swaps wouldnt pass inspections