Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

mazdaspeed and P5 owners...

Old 12-12-2004, 02:34 AM
im all stock..really

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k4ff1n3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mazdaspeed and P5 owners...

just wondering your opinions on your cars. ie what did you have before and how you like/dislike the mazda comparativly.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:18 PM
R.I.P B.K.H & K.D.A.

SlammedScort has disabled reputation
Default Re: mazdaspeed and P5 owners...

I've driven a turbo P5 quite a bit. It's fun but still slow. Haven't driven a MS yet though.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Modified 4 Member

B18Tuner is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a MazdaSpeed Protege. It's a nice car, but If I had to do it again, I would easily choose either the SRT-4 or a VW Jetta 1.8T or VR-6.

As for the Mazda, the car is built solid, and is quite roomy on the inside. I honestly think that the Speed has more room in the rear seat area than my wife's Honda Accord.

The suspension is Tight to death. This car will hold it's on in any autocross event, given a good driver and good tires. On the street, its a little too firm at times, but very predictable at the limits.

The party stops where the engine starts. Lots of pulling power for a daily driver. But a very rough A/F ratio and a shitty ass side mount intercooler cause lots of hesitation in the heat. Upgraded FMIC/and exhaust goes a long way, as well as upped boost. The rods are hella weak and 10lbs is pushing the limit. Some people run 14 lbs. but the life of the block won't last long. With a better set of pistons/rods, and good eng. management, this car would def. be a street/strip contender..
Old 12-13-2004, 04:17 AM
im all stock..really

sounds good, im thinking of building a P5, but hadent really considered the MS because of the bad things id heard about the motor and trans.. sounds like you like yours though!
Old 12-13-2004, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

fili_pinoy is an unknown quantity at this point

my brother has a P5 and it handles pretty well. it's kinda slow but very fun to drive.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:27 AM
im all stock..really

Originally Posted by SlammedScort
I've driven a turbo P5 quite a bit. It's fun but still slow. Haven't driven a MS yet though.
do you have a turbo P5? id like to drive/ride in one before i completely commit to getting one.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:32 PM
R.I.P B.K.H & K.D.A.

SlammedScort has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by k4ff1n3
do you have a turbo P5? id like to drive/ride in one before i completely commit to getting one.
Nah, we had one come through my work as a trade-in. We still have it but now it's minus all of its aftermarket parts. Someone bought it, took it to Florida, stripped it, and he left it to get repoed.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Still a member...

Mr. Neon Boy has disabled reputation

you might as well get a MS then, my boy drives a MS with FMIC, Apexi exhaust, turbo timer, intake, and a Greddy BOV........its pretty quik but like B18tuner said they have a shitty EMS and it run rich as shit! other than that its prettty nice inside and out!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:16 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by k4ff1n3
sounds good, im thinking of building a P5, but hadent really considered the MS because of the bad things id heard about the motor and trans.. sounds like you like yours though!
The MS and the Protege 5 have the same engine. The engine code is FS-DE and the engine is terrible for boost imo. The rods will buckle under anything greater than about 8 pis if run hard often. I have seen plenty of blown engines. You can, however, buy rods and pistons for the engine. Next weak point: the tranny. I grenaded one on an essentially stock protege 5. I did autox it a few times, but nothing that should have caused the failure. They also had a TB for their clutches.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:46 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

jesus. John, how long do you think Tre's is gonna last? And I wanted to get one too...

Quick Reply: mazdaspeed and P5 owners...