Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lug key broke in lug

Old 10-16-2004, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Lug key broke in lug

Heh, here's the situation...
I broke my lug key inside my lug. I've tried drilling it out, dremmelling, i'm at a point where I will just break the damn lug off or even the stud and replace it. All over a blown tire.
Anyone able to help out on this one or maybe refer a NN machine shop?
...That is open today?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:40 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Lug key broke in lug

haah ahahahah ahahahahah ahahah

Edit: No, I don't know of anywhere.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Breezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these parts

lol, thanks anyways.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:50 AM

silly_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Un4given
lol, thanks anyways.
merchant's on todds lane has a lug removal tool
Old 10-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

hows it work? because i tried dremmelling, drilling, chizzling, everything... I'm basically tryin' to get either the lug nut itself to break off or break the stud, either one will get the wheel off.
I ask how that tool works because I wanna know if they will be able to use it or not.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Okay, I took it to Merchants in NN on Warwick. They're not sure if they can get it off because the lug tool grasps the outside of the lug and my lugs are recessed into the rim itself.
They're gonna try to use the impact chizzle and turn it that way. If that's a no-go then they can torch it off but that would fuck up my rim (aluminum doesn't do well against a flame) so I would have to buy a new rim. *shrugs*
Thanks tons though Brandon!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:47 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

If they can't fix it, just drill the whole motherfucker out and put a new stud in..
Old 10-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

a plasma cutter might work to slice the lug off from either side, you may end up trashing your rim with that method too.. An EDM machine would probably work too, that's what they use to get broken taps out of holes with.. You'll have to find a well equipped machine shop if you try to go the EDM route though..
I'm not sure how hard studs are, or how well they would drill out..Worth a shot though..

I just thought of something else. Lugs dont' use the most high quality of steel to make them, so chances are you could slot the top deeply with a dremel disc (or both sides if it's a open-ended lug) and then go at the slot with an impact chsel.. This should/could make the lug crack in half..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-16-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Haha, that is EXACTLY where I was goin' w/it. My pops was tellin' me that they're made of cheap metal as well so I was tryin' to break it in half by dremmelling a slot, which I did already, and then sledgin' a chizzle to it.
Anywho... Merchants torched it and rim is still good, just with black around the lug that they couldn't get off. Also broke my lug off so I gotta get a new one of them. They said its gonna be about 158 to put the new lug in because it requires to take out the bearings and put it in from the back. I dont know much 'bout that area so I just nod. So I guess I'm 4-luggin' it for a while. I'm turnin' into a Honda! hahahahahahahahah j/k
I appreciate all your guy's help.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Soon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to behold

Did you try finding a socket that is slightly too small, and hammering it over the lug? Ruins the socket, and the lug, but removes it.

Quick Reply: Lug key broke in lug