Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: which flavor to race?
s13 turbo ka
12.50%
s13 sr20
31.25%
FC-RX7
25.00%
Miata
31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

looking for a track car

Old 07-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

So you are trying to build a autocross car or a track car? I define track as a real roadcourse (VIR, Summit Point, Beaver Run). What experiance do you have with driving at those events. None of the turbo cars would be a great choice for a new track driver. Especially, a add on turbo kit. Recipe for a blown engine. Skip the RX7. To fragile in your price range. You need deep pockets to keep that thing alive at the track. I guess the best one is the SR20DET S13 car built up properly for track usage.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by flo w fx
autox greaser.. autox.

you take out my stock suspension and put a different one in, theres your autox car.

why else do you think a drag car cant be made into an autox car with a little bit of work. alot less than starting from scratch.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Jus Chillin'

Gladimor is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's the thing I have no track experience I'm not exactly looking to win, yet. I just want to have a good time out there and develop some much needed driving skills. And yeah a track is a real circuit/road course to me too, and I'm leaning more towards a track car than an autox car.

I was thinking about an mr2 turbo or a 4wd eclipse/talon but from what I here about how stuff goes on the track I'd never be able to keep up with the maintenance. For that amount of cash I was hoping to be able to build a tank like rx7 motor and put it in a cheap shell, but I see where you're going in saying that it will take oober amounts of cash to keep the thing in tip top shape. This is also the reason why I can't go the way of the s2000 for a regular joe shmoe like myself the maintenance bill will just be too high, sorry guys but thanks for the sugestion.

I was thinking sr20 s13 too until it dawned on me how cheaply I can build a turbo ka, and if the motor blows I can pick anew one up for cheap. I'll look into how much it costs to build a track worthy sr powered s13. Keep the suggestions comming!

Lates.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:52 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not build a turbo KA track car for your first experiance. Get a S13 and start attending events while it is NA. Do the brakes first, Then the Suspension, THen after you have some experiance do a SR20DET conversion. You will learn what you need to learn after doing some events. Do events first, Dont mod the car first. Wrong order. Trust me.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Jus Chillin'

Gladimor is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah that makes sense, do you know any sights that have information on how to sign up for track days and what not? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Girly Car Pilot

SilverNB is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh ive gotta agree those early 90's 240's can be so sexy when done in good taste, would love to get one of those one day, on top of that you would have cheap insurance and you could swap in a sr20det after youve got some seat time under your belt and the insurance company doesnt have to know the better
Old 07-17-2003, 05:47 PM
Instructor

racerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the rough

Check out the NASA site: http://www.nasaracing.net/trackday/index.shtml

I am going to be instructing at the VIR event next month. There are many other clubs and groups that do high performance track events too. Though you may not want to here this an f-body makes a very good road course car, but maybe not the best autocrosser.

Last edited by racerns; 07-22-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

thelastmirage is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say to go with the rx7. I just got a first gen for like $400. they are pretty cheap and you can put the drive train from a fd into it to make it stronger. for the engine you can go with the carbed 12a, fuel injected first gen 13b, or turbo second gen 13b.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:25 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by Gladimor
I was thinking about an mr2 turbo or a 4wd eclipse/talon but from what I here about how stuff goes on the track I'd never be able to keep up with the maintenance. For that amount of cash I was hoping to be able to build a tank like rx7 motor and put it in a cheap shell, but I see where you're going in saying that it will take oober amounts of cash to keep the thing in tip top shape. This is also the reason why I can't go the way of the s2000 for a regular joe shmoe like myself the maintenance bill will just be too high, sorry guys but thanks for the sugestion.
actually you would be suprised how reliable mr2 turbos can be. however, i would suggest a mk1 or mk2 mr2. many people have great success with both. a mk1 can be purchased for next to nothing and they are very lightweight, very nimble, and there is a whole wold of mods you can do to them.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

B13 se-r all the way. Its not RWD, but its low on insurance and handles like a mofo with cheap mods. Also can be built up motor wise to your craziest/sickest desires.

Oh you could always get a 1st gen RX7 and run SpecRX7. All it takes are a set of tires and a bolt in cage and your ready for wheel to wheel racing.

-Kevin

Quick Reply: looking for a track car