VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Looking for a good option for a daily driver for the wife...opinions wanted. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/looking-good-option-daily-driver-wife-opinions-wanted-483313/)

buugiewuugie 04-22-2014 12:09 PM

Re: Looking for a good option for a daily driver for the wife...opinions wanted.

No Escape. Bad Escape. Had the number 6 spark plug blow out on me, taking all the threads with it at 101k miles. Apparently It's common with that engine. And an alternator takes 4 frickin hours to replace. You actually have to take apart the suspension.

Just don't.

Yep4doors 04-22-2014 12:11 PM

Re: Looking for a good option for a daily driver for the wife...opinions wanted.

Originally Posted by EGon10psi (Post 8281840)
When you say older model which years do you mean? How many miles (I know this greatly depends on the previous owners) would you say is too high to get into a TSX. I am assuming these have timing belts that need changed every 75 to 100k. I have yet to own a vehicle long enough to need this service but I heard it is expensive.

K24 is chain driven, and 04-06 would probably be your best bet for your price range.

I will start checking out the legacy now. I am assuming the GT is a manual only. She is not the best driver so an automatic is going to be the best option for her.

This.

I also liked the idea of the Mazda 3 but the interior was kinda crappy if you ask me.

They are excellent reliable vehicles, I work with a guy that's had his 04' (maybe) since new, hasn't had a problem except for routine maintenance.

buugiewuugie 04-22-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by EGon10psi (Post 8281850)
Okay no problem.

So.....Jetta, TL, TSX, IS250 (Is250 prob not a good choice but I like the look and mpg)

And I hate to be a jerk here. But my sister has a Jetta. She is constantly fixing it. Just had to replace the heater core for like $1200 or something. Fuel injector leak, window regulator, bad battery (shouldn't be on list, but it adds up). 2010 and everything happened immediately following the warranty expiring. And... the fuel pump and all the fuel components had to be replaced when I put gas in it... :o It was a nice $9K bill. It's a great car, handles nice, great interior. But she said she'd never buy one again.

EGon10psi 04-22-2014 12:24 PM

Well over the years I have come to the conclusion that all cars are horrible or something can go wrong. I am just trying to pick the ones with the best percentage of nothing breaking haha. I bought a new 335i off the lot and it needed 3500 in work done a week later (under warranty). I just want a simple car with a simple engine and descent looking exterior and interior. I have heard nothing but great things about the Jetta...sucks what happened to your sister though. Thank you for info.

Yep4doors 04-22-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by EGon10psi (Post 8281860)
Well over the years I have come to the conclusion that all cars are horrible or something can go wrong. I am just trying to pick the ones with the best percentage of nothing breaking haha. I bought a new 335i off the lot and it needed 3500 in work done a week later (under warranty). I just want a simple car with a simple engine and descent looking exterior and interior. I have heard nothing but great things about the Jetta...sucks what happened to your sister though. Thank you for info.

If you want a vehicle with a simple everything go Honda/Acura. They really do make the most simplistic cars, even now. I don't typically tell people to buy a Honda but your situation, price range, and what you desire in a decent, well built from factory, daily driver just screams Honda to me. The motors are chain driven I believe in everything from 06+ with the exception of the k-series motors in 02+. I'm not sure about the their V-6's but I would presume by 06+ they were also chain driven.

It really sounds like a TL or a TSX is in your future, maybe even a nice loaded Accord or CR-V. They also have that Accord Crossover, seems kinda interesting, I'm not sure what they are going for though, probably in the higher end of your price range.

EGon10psi 04-22-2014 12:46 PM

Yeah the accords with low mileage are around 15k. I do not like the CRVs and the Crossover looks like an Accord with a lift kit lol.

Any opinions on the is250 before I cross it off my list as well? Anyone have one?

Scotty_Nooo 04-22-2014 12:50 PM

TSX are good cars, they require premium gas. (Yes you can get away with the cheap gas but your valves will hate you)

TL, I loved mine and will buy another but the MPG weren't all that great. I was driving 4K miles a month and my gas bill was a second car payment, so i sold it. If she's going to be driving a ton it's something to consider.

TDI or any diesel for that matter is better for the long run. Parts tend to be a little more expensive but they don't break down as often as gas cars (or at least that's the intent if properly maintained). Oil changes are every 5k v. every 3k, diesel is a little more expensive ($3.84 / gal is what i paid yesterday, 93 was the same price) but you get 35+mpg. Digi on here has a TDI Jetta and according to him he gets 42+mpg, car has 200K+ and is still rocking. He loves it. For long commutes a diesel makes a lot of sense.

Compass / Escape. They are really small SUV's, I've know a few ppl who owned escapes and they hated them. The gas mileage on both isn't great.

tl;dr

TSX or anything TDI

Yep4doors 04-22-2014 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty_Nooo (Post 8281869)

TSX or anything TDI

I will agree with this.

EGon10psi 04-22-2014 12:58 PM

Thank you sir...I did not know that about the TSX. Wouldn't the TL also require premium since it is a slightly better model than the TSX. Does it matter which year TSX for the premium gas?

Yardjass 04-22-2014 01:18 PM

Another vote for the TDI. I get anywhere from 46 to 50 mpg on long highway trips and the torque is great to have in every day driving situations. However, any gasoline in the system will destroy that fuel pump so you have to be very careful. There's also your typical VW electrical gremlins to worry about. Other than that, they're great. I don't have many miles on mine but for what it's worth I've had zero problems in the first 45,000 miles. If it continues to stay trouble free and last as long as diesels typically do, I'll be able to keep it at least 400,000 miles and save a ton of money while doing so.