Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Local 240sx owner's discussion thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Blang Blang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com
Default Local 240sx owner's discussion thread

This may be a mistake due to the number of "oh yeah drift!" fanboys as there are around now but I know there are quite a few tasteful local 240sx's and enthusiasts and I would like to get a thread going to offer advice to new owners and provide a place for people to display ongoing process on their cars.

For those that havent met me im Nick. Ive had three 240's (still own the 3rd) and am in the middle of a rebuild on my third.

1st 240
Spoiler

How it ended (story)
Spoiler

2nd 240
Spoiler

How it ended (got rear ended sitting dead stopped at a light, insurance totalled)
Spoiler

Last shot of 3rd 240 before tear down
Spoiler

As it sits now (Actually now has wheels and suspension back on it, been awhile since i took a pic)
Spoiler

Build thread (hasnt been updated in awhile)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Blang Blang

sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com
Default Re: Local 240sx owner's discussion thread

Damn I def. have some more recent shots of how it sits now.

Bay
Spoiler

Interior
Spoiler

Exterior (kinda)
Spoiler
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 AM
NISSAN <3

JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX

damn that wood grain be flossin.

ill chime in and post links when i have time.

Last edited by JDM180SX; 07-09-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered member

jorge1190 has disabled reputation

I've had my S14 for close to 4 years now. I am more of a grip/autocross guy than a drifter. The car has an OEM rebuilt S13 SR20 tuned on Megasquirt and makes 330 WHP 302 TQ.

Recent pic:

Engine Bay before it was finished: (sticker not on valve cover)

Some auto-x action last year:

Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

I kind of copied my build thread, I have a lot of pictures so I'm going to have to make a few posts. Here's part 1.

Spoiler
I originally bought my 91 hatch for $300 off craigslist, guy I bought it from had drifted it into a curb and bent a bunch of front suspension stuff. While fixing it I upgraded to coilovers and bought some wheels, Tanabe Sustec Pros and 16x8 +10 Rota RB-R. It was also auto, so the first thing I did after fixing the front end was perform a 5sp swap. Here is a picture of it at that stage:

I wanted to drift it, so I looked around for local drift events. The closest one was Driftwater, it's hosted by LookoutDrift/US Drift. I tried to go ka-t but that plan failed, so I was back to stock KA for the event, however I was still running my tuned ecu. I learned a lot at that event, here's a picture.

After my first few events I wanted to try ka-t again. This time I did it better, but I still cut a lot of corners. After figuring out an ignition issue I was running 7 psi on a t25, I thought it was the fastest thing ever. I think this picture is of that setup.

After the ebay turbo blew I decided to upgrade to a GTi-R t28. Here are some pictures from that:

Unfortunately I wanted to break 300whp with 370cc injectors and stock mafs. I got close at 12 psi, but I blew my ringlands in the process. I still drove it around for a while at lower boost, smoked a lot but still made decent power.

I got a friend to take some rolling shots, the car was pretty haggard in this stage but I thought it looked cool.

Around that time I swapped in another KA, I was tired of burning oil due to the ringland issue. I think it's also around that time that I swapped everything over to a cleaner shell, not sure though. Either way the new shell was the same color, you couldn't tell it was a new car. This is either during the engine swap or the shell swap:

I got some new coilovers because the Tanabes didn't go low enough. I also got to drift VIR's Patriot Course, that was a blast. Pictures:

My oil pressure had issues. By issues, I mean I had almost none. I decided to tear apart the blown ringland block and build it, but I ended up saying screw it and rebuilt my turbo instead.

round that time I decided to go 5 lug, but being the cheapass I am I did it in parts. 5 lug in the rear came first since it was the easiest.

I go to school in NC, so I decided to hit up some events in Charlotte. Streetwise drift has a points series or something, I just wanted seat time.

We all stayed at a friend's house, this neat picture was taken there.

After that I wanted to change the look of my car, so I went pignose front and got some chuki sides, as well as did some more drifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOTiw0zhxaA Then I finally went 5 lug, 16x8 -10 Starion wheels all around

Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

Part 2:

Spoiler
In addition to my oil pressure problems I kept losing coolant. The head gasket was going, I decided to have it blow at the track. I got some new wheels somewhere in there too. First time my car had ever been on a trailer, it kinda sucked.

At this stage I decided on sticking with the KA and doing a top mount turbo setup. I thought about keeping my turbo and going top mount t2, but in the end I decided against it. I found what I thought was a good deal on a built KA, $1,000 for forged internals and less than 25 miles. Bought it, swapped random parts over, started it up, and of course it had rod knock. I ended up not even using that same engine when I built my own, just the rods. Shitty situation, should have just built my own engine and saved all that time and money. Bad engine:

New built engine:

I broke it in N/A and drove it around for a while before deciding to turbo it again. 550cc injectors, z32 mafs, and at the time a Holset HX30. I bought everything to make it work, almost had it running, then decided to go with another turbo. Sold the Holset and bought a Precision 5431 and "made" a new manifold for it. It's a bottom mount t2 manifold flipped and braced with a t3 flange welded on.

Since it was finally running again I went drifting. Broke a coolant hose, other than that it went really well. I also put on my rear valance, I don't think it's an actual G-Grow, probably a replica. Either way it was in 3 pieces when I got it, I didn't bother fixing it at the time. I also got MB Battle wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ_TkAsLRBQ Since the car was working I decided it was finally time for paint. A friend of mine found a post of mine from like 3 years ago saying I was going to paint it within a week, but obviously that didn't happen. I decided on a color(s) and started prep work.

Since it was all painted it was time to go drifting again!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Blang Blang

I like the s14 jorge1190, very simple and nicely done.

Sup chris, car looks outstanding.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Cool story Hansel.

Anddd part 3. Thanks for reading, I’m bored at work so I’m looking forward to what everyone else has to post!
Spoiler
At this point the car was running well so I decided to focus on suspension. I wanted to have correct suspension geometry so I had my knuckles modified. This gave me 45mm of front roll center correction as well as a lot more steering angle for drifting.

I went to the Driftwater event in May, these are some pictures from that:

More suspension bits, this time solid rear subframe bushings. These bushings also raise the subframe by 20mm which helps out suspension geometry.

I just got back from another Streetwise event in Charlotte this past weekend, not too many pictures of that but here’s a video I took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhK5-m9pa8 And here’s how the car currently looks. Bumper is going back on after I get an alignment, other than that my only plans are for more seat time!

Last edited by Chris28; 07-09-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Blang Blang

Ordered these tonight from enjuku. Check a couple of other little things left on my list to buy.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:42 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Just sold number 19, number 20 is being put together currently. Here's my 2 favorite ones, swapping everything from the fastback to the coupe:

Ill post more when ive decided this thread hasnt turn into a shitshow with the current group of 240 people.

Quick Reply: Local 240sx owner's discussion thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: