Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lemon law procedure?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
HHIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default Lemon law procedure?

Has anybody here actually pursued using the Lemon law? I understand that under VA law, 3 times for the same issue warrants pursuing the lemon law. My mother has an '06 Miata that she bought used from a dealership and is still under factory warranty. She has had to take it in for flooding 5 times now. When it rains hard, her car basically fills up with water, sometimes as much as 3 inches of water in the car (enough to "splash" when she steps in). I messed with the drains late last year and we thought the problem may have been fixed. However, it's doing it again now. Because of this, the interior wreaks of mold or mildew (think wet cat). On top of this, she's had 3 brake problems and a clutch issue. The car only has 15,000 miles.

What is the procedure for returning the car under lemon law? Is it something that is cut and dry or will it take lawyer fees and court battles?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:44 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default Re: Lemon law procedure?

How long ago did she buy it?

In Virginia you have up to 18 months to return the car for one of three reasons, car has a repair for a serious safety defect, 3 times for substantial defects which are unresolved, or out of service for 30 days.

Basically if she's owned it for over 18 months shes out of luck
Old 05-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Ok, heres what you do.

First you strip all the carpet out, remove the seats, ect. Then you apply rhino liner and cut some drain holes into the floor board. That should fix your flooding problem. Itll also give you and your mom a reason to take it offroad and utilize that monster wheel gap.

Fuck brakes, that why god made walls.

Tell you mom to learn to rev match and slam gears.

Problem gone.

Last edited by Muncher; 05-04-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I am the way.

Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula

And the award for the most useless post not answering anything the OP asked, all the while trying to be true and helpful...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Your right...I was being serious.

Edit: P.S. My post was in referance to a convo we had at my house the other day.

Last edited by Muncher; 05-04-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

chowe has disabled reputation

From my understanding there is no lemon law for a used vehicle. The car would have to be purchased new form the dealership.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...s/lemonlaw.asp

http://www.carlaws.com/
Old 05-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

You can try to take it to civil court if they dont honor the warranties. Unless it was stated "as is".
Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by ShawnD
You can try to take it to civil court if they dont honor the warranties. Unless it was stated "as is".
That's where we think we might end up going. If the lemon law isn't an option, we might have to pursue something like that. The car is under warranty, but it won't be forever. It seems they can't or won't fix it under warranty. She'd like something done about this before the warrantee expires.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

That's what we tried for my car, they sold me a car with a fucked up head gasket so antifreeze was lubing my engine. We woulda won if it wasn't as is. They told us it was all fine when we looked at it and just said the steam from the pipe was cuz it had been sitting /facepalm biggest mistake I ever made.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 PM
negative elevation

jamleanonit has disabled reputation

you cannot get lemon law on used cars trust i have been through court on a peice of shit chevy tha i bought used with warranty the car has to be brand new when you bought it

Quick Reply: Lemon law procedure?