Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Legal Question

Old 09-28-2006, 07:41 PM
:3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vg30dett has disabled reputation
Default Legal Question

So I got pulled over a few nights ago in James City County for expired tags. Apparently my registration expired at the end of August and I didn't realize it, because when do you look at your own tags? The DMV notice never made it, but it really IS my fault for not keeping track of it.

I tried to renew my registration at DMV but they can't because I owe property taxes in York County, where the car is registered. I'm completely broke, so paying them off is out, for now.

Someone told me that the court can suspend my license for this. It's my first ticket--hell, it's the first time I've been pulled over--and I know it's not a moving violation, but I'm really worried about what the court's going to do. Has this ever happened to anyone?? Any idea what the fine is?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

|2ocky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Legal Question

The fine is probably around $90, if you do not plan on renewing it you might be better off just paying it off.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

QuickV6 has disabled reputation

That is true if you do not pay the fine they can and will suspend you liscense. If i was you i would call a lawyer and get some legal advice by asking the attorney if he gives free consultations or free legal advice. Just tell the lawyer your situation and they should give you free advice.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

css1129 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think expired registration is like $45....I could be wrong...but if you dont pay it they will suspend your shit and then you have to pay the fine plus reinstatement fee which is $80 for me because virgina sucks nuts. Property tax on a vehicle is a joke. They wanted $400 something in property tax to register my car I bought in maryland...when Im not a resident here. I just registered it in Illinois for about $100. The commonwealth is a joke.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:38 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

You can pay property taxes with a credit card in York County (telephone payment) and the DMV.