Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

LEATHER OR SUEDE STEERING WHEEL?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLOW SOL has disabled reputation
Default LEATHER OR SUEDE STEERING WHEEL?

So Im in the market for an Aftermarket steering wheel and wondered what the pros and cons are between using a leather or a suede steering wheel. Im leaning towards a suede but have never personally driven with one.

It will have a quick release and be taken off of course but i dont think that thats would make much of a difference.

Anybody?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: LEATHER OR SUEDE STEERING WHEEL?

Suede is nice and grippy, leather is easier to clean and usually easier to live with on a daily basis. I love suede for race car wheels but I think I'd want something smoother and easier for a street car; I haven't had a street car with a suede wheel though.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Works on MBs

BigandSlow is on a distinguished road

Suede is awesome. I love mine.

But I bought it less than a year ago and a lot of the suede has worn off. So if I spent that much money again on a steering wheel I would buy a leather one.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Yeah apparently after awhile the oils from your hands wear the suede off, which is why the are recommended for racing use only.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Hey Nice Lady has disabled reputation

If this is going on a daily driver, go with leather.

I've had both leather and suede wheels in street cars, and while suede wheels feel great initially, the feeling won't last. They simply won't stand up to the rigors of daily use.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Traction wut???

sr20hardbody has disabled reputation

Good thread dude been looking into this myself.

And seems we are talking bout steering wheels i gots a question to. Are the hubs vehicle specific or mostly universal or both?

Last edited by sr20hardbody; 02-27-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

I think suede would feel strange. Leather for sure.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Hey Nice Lady has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sr20hardbody
Good thread dude been looking into this myself.

And seems we are talking bout steering wheels i gots a question to. Are the hubs vehicle specific or mostly universal or both?
Quick answer: it depends.

As a general rule of thumb, a steering wheel hub won't see any cross-platform in regards to make, so don't bother trying to say... use a Toyota hub on a Nissan. The splines won't line up with the hub grooves, so the hub won't slide on.

Within makes though... it's really sort of a crap shoot. Usually with older Japanese models, the same hub will work among different vehicles (because of the whole spline/groove thing). If the hub will physically mate to the shaft (har har), then your battle is mostly won. The only consideration you have to take into account, is any of the other shit, like the turn signal cancel and the horn. But if you don't give a fuck about having your turn signals auto-cancel and can figure out how to get the horn working (which is usually pretty simple and apparent when you tackle it), then you're good.

I'm guessing that that you're trying to slap something onto your truck? If that's the case, find a buddy with a 240sx and an aftermarket wheel, and see if his hub will work for you?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Traction wut???

sr20hardbody has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Hey Nice Lady
Quick answer: it depends.

As a general rule of thumb, a steering wheel hub won't see any cross-platform in regards to make, so don't bother trying to say... use a Toyota hub on a Nissan. The splines won't line up with the hub grooves, so the hub won't slide on.

Within makes though... it's really sort of a crap shoot. Usually with older Japanese models, the same hub will work among different vehicles (because of the whole spline/groove thing). If the hub will physically mate to the shaft (har har), then your battle is mostly won. The only consideration you have to take into account, is any of the other shit, like the turn signal cancel and the horn. But if you don't give a fuck about having your turn signals auto-cancel and can figure out how to get the horn working (which is usually pretty simple and apparent when you tackle it), then you're good.

I'm guessing that that you're trying to slap something onto your truck? If that's the case, find a buddy with a 240sx and an aftermarket wheel, and see if his hub will work for you?

240sx: Ya i thought about trying that out

Turn signal auto cancel: Dont give a shit but good point

Horn: 5 gal air compressor goin in the bed and three train horns.

Thanks for that though very informative. I'll check into it all.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
misunderstood.

s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin s2katin

I think I'd rather have leather then suede. Both seem nice though.

Quick Reply: LEATHER OR SUEDE STEERING WHEEL?