Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Laws on painting cars?

Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANIGAV inc. has disabled reputation
Default Laws on painting cars?

I'm in the dark here. If you have a lien on a car and want to re-spray it, can you? If so, do you have to update the dmv/insurance?...say you were to get pulled over and the car and proof of insurance is coming up as silver but the car is white, does it not matter as long as the VIN # matches? Thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Registered member

LovemyNiSmO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Laws on painting cars?

Not sure about that, but i do know that people do car conversions. Like turning a pontiac into a ferrari. Thing is it looks like a ferrari but on the title, and what dmv have its a pontiac. Far as I know thats actually legal, so if they can get away with that you should be good. Just my guess though.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

i owuld always inform the insurance that your car is getting painted, that way they everything would be documented?

at least thats what i've always done.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

CrJenkins13 is on a distinguished road

My friend got pulled over quite often when cops would run his plates while behind him, because his car would come up silver, and it was orange. All he had to do was explain that it got painted, then they'd generally ask him if he sprayed it himself or not.

They've never given him any problems, but that's one more reason to get pulled over, so IF you do anything to your car, exhaust / suspension / etc, or any other minor thing that could get you in trouble(not even nescessarily car related), then I'd avoid it. You just risk getting caught for other shit, which is why I'd rather keep it the original color.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Flesh Into Gear.

kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa kanadaa

a friend of mine got pulled the day after he sprayed his and the cop just told him that he needed to update his registration because the cop could write a ticket for false information or something like that. but thats hear-say so believe it if you want.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

ANIGAV inc. has disabled reputation

word, looks like updating info is the way to go to avoid needless hassle.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

More importantly, make sure there aren't any problems with whoever you have the lien from. It's their car too, and if they perceive that their collateral has a changed value, they may not like that.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

You need to inform the DMV that the color has been changed, which will be noted on your registration. May have to pay the $10 duplicate registration fee to get another card if you want it. Otherwise you will get a new one when the existing registration runs out (check your license plate stickers if you're unsure when that would be). Insurance goes by what is on the DMV registration, as do police, but it's polite to give your insurance agent a call to update your info, especially if it's a higher quality paint job than oem.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

boosted crx-R is an unknown quantity at this point

i have repainted every car i own a different color including my street bike and have never reported it to dmv. I have been pulled over numerous times without hassle and have only been asked once if my car has been repainted. All i said was yeah.....he said ok and left. It is no big deal. The insurance company could care less.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Big B

bigboytoys is an unknown quantity at this point

i know your suposed to go to dmv and change the color of the car on the title and i would asume that its the same with insurance!