Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lat-G Measuring Device help - Gtech-pro?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam
Default Lat-G Measuring Device help - Gtech-pro?

Our shop, Performance Autosport, is in the beginnings of building a project car for the purposes of being a on-going build-up feature car in a popular Mustang magazine. Since our shop isnt your average drag race, big horsepower, go straight, quarter-mile only shop, we are going to be building a open-track car. Not only that, but we'll be focusing on how to do it in stages to be easy on your wallet and it's not going to end up being one of those outrageous project cars you see in magazines that take $60k to replicate. Instead, we'll be using a formula that has been proven to work, a Griggs Racing GR40 chassis kit, and breaking it up into stages to show the readers exactly what part does what. The cool part is that we are going to do this with a stock motored car to stress the importance of a well balanced and great performing chassis.

Our lead installer and mechanic, "Mustang Don" Rositch has been preaching the gospel of Griggs Racing for years and it's true, their parts work. We are going to show the readers how fast a stock 225hp Mustang can be by running faster lap times then most that spend twice as much on a motor that their chassis cant put to use.

Well, now onto my question. In thinking about this today with my boss, Don and after they talked it over with the editor/writer that would be in charge of this article, we are in need of some sort of lateral-g measuring device. My boss said he would go out and buy a G-tech Pro, but I responded by saying "If I read an article with 'input' from a G-tech Pro I'd laugh and keep flipping." Who feels the same? I just dont believe them, and I think after putting this much effort and time into this car, using a G-tech Pro as a fact finder would be a joke. Am I off base?

Are there any alternatives, or has anyone truly tested a G-tech Pro and actually found it to be precise enough to use it as a tool in our build up? As I said, we are doing this car in stages, and we plan on doing a skid pad test for each stage and showing how much it improves. We should be able to find enough asphalt to do a skid pad test since we are quite friendly with some of the local police officers that have their testing facility not far from our shop..heh, but we will still need an accurate way of recording our results.

Any input would be helpful. Also, if anyone is local to the Short Pump area of Richmond, Va and cares to let us borrow their G-Tech Pro for testing, please let me know. We have a dyno, so I'd be extra curious to see if that data from the G-Tech Pro is even close for horsepower estimations.

Thanks again,
-Kevin
Old 11-28-2005, 09:18 PM
A frog and his AK-47

my03lanceroz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lat-G Measuring Device help - Gtech-pro?

Don't know if this will help any but I have the May 2005 issue of Car and Driver they did a test on performance meters one being the G-tech/Pro RR. This was said during a test on a Pontiac G6 " Like some of the other meters, the G-tech measures cornering grip but provides no calibration function for this feature.During our testing,we found that the lateral-g number the G-tech displayed was about 0.05 g higher than what the car was pulling according to our timing device."(they were using VBOX)
Old 11-29-2005, 05:15 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Awesome, quite helpful!

Anyone else?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Dont most magazines get their figure of lateral G based on how quickly the car goes in a certain circumference circle?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Yea, a skid pad test. Which we could do, but it's still not precise unless you have very expensive timing equipment. Our goal is to find out our results cheaply, but accurately.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Any other options?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Let me drive it?

I think a G-Tech will work for your application. From what I've heard, they are fairly consistent. So, take the car out in stock form, get some numbers. Then take it out after each install, and get your new numbers. The numbers will speak for themselves.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Anyone know where to get the newest one the cheapest?