Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Largest Cruise Ship in the World

Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timi9 has disabled reputation
Cool Largest Cruise Ship in the World

http://www.cruisesfun.com/largestcruiseship.shtml
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Default Re: Largest Cruise Ship in the World

eh, rice
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Drink Up, Chumps

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Pffft, I've seen bigger.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

thats cool and all, but all i can say is Titanic 2. i mean, how would you get all those people off there if there was a problem.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Foreign kid.

asianmuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

i doubt that their going to be traveling where there are iceburgs
Old 07-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by drifterJERRY
thats cool and all, but all i can say is Titanic 2. i mean, how would you get all those people off there if there was a problem.
Uhhh, lifeboats?

You obviously aren't familiar with the whole Titanic tragedy and why 1,500 souls parished. Only ~800 people survived from the Titanic because there was only room in the lifeboats for that many. Not to mention, had the boats been loaded full from the get-go, they could have saved more.

I'm not going to say any more then that though... if the HUGE advances in radar, communications, water tight-compartments, and safely laws been established, then perhaps I'd agree with your "Titanic II" statement.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

blu99teg is on a distinguished road

Ehhh, a nimitz class is still bigger.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:38 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by blu99teg
Ehhh, a nimitz class is still bigger.
Wrong. Nimitz class carrier is approximately 97,000 tons and approximately 1092 feet long. Now if you want to talk about which is faster then the Nimitz class carrier wins. If you don't believe me, read this:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cvn-68.htm

Last edited by JDM74; 07-11-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by XCELR8
Uhhh, lifeboats?

I'm not going to say any more then that though... if the HUGE advances in radar, communications, water tight-compartments, and safely laws been established
good point (titanic wasnt a good example)...but i still would be scared traveling on something that large and having to evacuate in an emergency. pure panic alone would cause mayhem.

aannndd, i know the thing isnt going near ice, but what about a reef, another ship, or sand??? i mean, the Tricolor (carrying the volvos and such) sank in 30 minutes after colliding with another boat...and a few days later a German cargo ship hit the wreckage. i guess radar doesnt work in the fog

thats all, points made from both parties
Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

WaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these partsWaterJet is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by JDM74
Wrong. Nimitz class carrier is approximately 97,000 tons and approximately 1092 feet long. Now if you want to talk about which is faster then the Nimitz class carrier wins. If you don't believe me, read this:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cvn-68.htm
The "weight" of 160k tons they list on that page is not the displacment of the vessel at all, but a volumetric measurment in accordance with whatever classification society (ABS, SOLAS, Det Norsk Veritas etc.) the vessel is registered with. This is not uncommon with passenger vessels and is based on enclosed volume vs. compartment "permeability". Google "gross tonnage" for a more detailed explanation. FWIW a cruise ship usually displaces about half of it's gross tonnage, so figure 80k tons full load.