Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

K20a3 swap cheap Is it worth it?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Boost is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx
Default K20a3 swap cheap Is it worth it?

So I have someone that is willing to sell me a K20a3 out of a 2002 civic si for 800. This will come with the engine (all sensors in tact but the TPS) Transmission (5speed) and engine harness.

To me it seems too good to be true but wondering if it is "that cheap" or if it is worth it. I have to rent a uhaul pickup and drive to pick it up so my total cost should be around 900-950

Wondering what you guys think.

Also just found out it comes with DC sports header
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

kerryluck has disabled reputation
Default Re: K20a3 swap cheap Is it worth it?

From what I have seen the a3 is a bad idea has no power at all like the worse k series they made but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Boost is Better

Damn… I have a Kswap ready shell sitting at the house but I can't afford 2 grand for a swap. (I have a baby coming in about a week) and I really want to get the shell on the road.

What I seemed to have read up on these is that you can just swap heads and gain all the benefits of an A2 vtec setup but that seems a little to good to be true and as far as the trans goes that could be upgraded down the road as well. I am so on the fence with this it's crazy. I will have to drive 3 and a half hours away to pick this up and can't find a setup any cheaper anywhere else.

I can find the engine alone for 3-400 but the trans is always expensive.

I am at a loss on what to do.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by sircrx
Damn… I have a Kswap ready shell sitting at the house but I can't afford 2 grand for a swap. (I have a baby coming in about a week) and I really want to get the shell on the road.

What I seemed to have read up on these is that you can just swap heads and gain all the benefits of an A2 vtec setup but that seems a little to good to be true and as far as the trans goes that could be upgraded down the road as well. I am so on the fence with this it's crazy. I will have to drive 3 and a half hours away to pick this up and can't find a setup any cheaper anywhere else.

I can find the engine alone for 3-400 but the trans is always expensive.

I am at a loss on what to do.
In my honest opinion, this particular swap is not worth the time or money. That engine produced 160hp/130tq at 6000rpm, and is designed more than anything else, for fuel efficiency. Thus, it really just isnt the motor you want in order to make the head swap youre referencing worthwhile; I would recommend sourcing up a k24 bottom end out of a CRV. Then, save up and buy an A2 head, mate the two together and VOILA....you have a torquey little motor than loves to rev. Either way, this is most definitely something I would not recommend rushing.

Just my .02 though.

Last edited by Subie2Honda; 07-14-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 AM
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

In MY honest opinion you shouldn't be blowing money of crappy Honda projects if you have a baby on the way.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Boost is Better

This is not a judgement thread about what I should and shouldn't do with my own money. But to ease your judgemental mind, This whole ordeal comes from the fact that I am in fact selling my 2010 car to get rid of the payment and need to get the civic on the road as cheap as possible so I have a car to get from point a to point b when I need a car to transport just myself and don't have the wifes car.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 AM
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

You made a thread asking for advice, idiot. But I should know better, you Honda kids make nothing but bad decisions in life.

Maybe you should've decided to have a baby when you were less poor.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Boost is Better

Ok so on to the next question. Is it easy to go back to a b series (or D if need be) swap in a shell that has once been converted to K? Shift hump has already been hacked out but I am sure I could fab something to hold the old style shifter in and I could def source a B series swap cheaper than K but what about everything under the hood and wiring wise.

This was going to be my first at K swaps but now I have learned that even though I have the k swapped shell, Hasport mounts and wiring done it still isn't cheap. So maybe this shell will be up for sale/trade soon but I would like to get the car on the road if possible.

This is not my first swap (I have owned 19 honda's 3 of which were above 400hp,) this is just my first at K swaps so I have a lot of questions.

Oh and for all of those wondering. I bought a new car, Sold EVERYTHING honda related to have a reliable car because 3 cars broke down on me in a 3 week period of time (all small stupid things but they still left me on the side of the road and late for work) and wanted a newer car with a warranty. 5 days later found out we were having a baby. Then the wife graduated and got a job (one that wasn't top on her list) and we had to move to philly and pay outrageous rent prices. So life is not always perfect, and while I would normally have money to do a type R k swap I don't have those funds because I am doing the responsible thing and trying to get this on the road cheap.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Boost is Better

Originally Posted by Lay Zee H
You made a thread asking for advice, idiot. But I should know better, you Honda kids make nothing but bad decisions in life.

Maybe you should've decided to have a baby when you were less poor.
You know nothing about me and I did not ask for advice on what I should do with my own f*&cking money. I asked about a swap on whether it was worth 800 bucks or not. I did not ask for you to tell me about my life. For your information I am far from poor.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:11 AM
NBHNC

You did ask us what to do with your own money, whether you should dump $800 into a Honda project that isn't even worth that.

Nobody cares how many Hondas you've owned and how many had "over 400whp". All that proves is that you're retarded and have never upgraded in your life. You're a fucking idiot who decided that Honda parts were a better investment than condoms.

Quick Reply: K20a3 swap cheap Is it worth it?