Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Insurance and racing at the track

Old 08-19-2003, 08:36 AM
HAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat
Default Insurance and racing at the track

Can anyone give me some information on this?

As I understand, insurance goes up substainially if a car is raced at a track in addition to daily driving.
There is no option to have just insurance on daily driving IF the car is occasionally raced at the track.
Please no stupid comments about how you do it and just don't tell your insurance company.

In addition, the waver signed by racers does not protect the racer themself from being sued.
Example: If Bob with his 15 second civic wrecks into Steve with his 15 second integra, steve's wife can sue bob. Steve's kids can sue bob.
If bob shoots a rod into the crowd and breaks Julie's nose, Julie can sue bob.

After learning this, it seems like street racing 'safely' is the best choice short of not racing at all.

Cops want you to race at the track, insurance companies don't want you to. Does anyone who goes to the track frequently with a car that is also driven on the street regularly have any useful input?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:38 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

I asked about this a long time ago, but I don't think there's a good compromise short of getting some damn expensive track insurance just for the days you race thru a 3rd party. Gotta pay to play
Old 08-19-2003, 08:39 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if your car is wrecked at the track,oh well insurance wont cover it, hell if i race at the track and die, my aflac life insurance policy nor my other policy doesnt cover it, basically going to the track at all is onlyso you dont get your car and liscense taken away.........
Old 08-19-2003, 08:43 AM
HAM

Well I'm not concerned about covering any of my loses from racing at the track. That's a risk I'm willing to live with.

The thing is, insurance automatically increases your rates if they find out you race at the track even though they don't cover it.
In addition to that, other people can still sue you like I mentioned above. Those are the things I don't understand.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:45 AM
no love for hoes...

99slowlst

they know you have a tendency to drive fast if you race at the track i guess....

sounds gay to me.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:45 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

They shouldn't care as long as you never try to make a claim and don't bring it up to them. Nowhere in the contract does it say you have to tell them that you race the vehicle as long as you understand they won't cover damages.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:05 PM
<----BigBake

LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative

This topic has come up on many of the larger boards that I am on, and it was pretty consistant that most big name insurance companies have a clause for cars that see track time, and it covers damages due to an accident (not wear and tear). Your best bet is to call around, there were at least 2 or 3 major companies that offered something.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:38 PM

blackgloves is an unknown quantity at this point

Joey....11secSS has a insurance that covers racing, as long as its not for money in a event, he is fine. Hell remember the SS he destroyed at Langley.....then turned around and got that Lightening? There you go. ANd from what I understood, his insurance is not that bad.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:59 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

didnt he get the lightning repo'd
Old 08-19-2003, 04:11 PM
HAM

Well, the thing is, I DO NOT WANT insurance for the track but my insurance company tells me if the car sees the track they automatically up the insurance but it still covers nothing that happens at the track.
That plus the thing about being sued makes it seem like the track really is not worth going to.

Quick Reply: Insurance and racing at the track