Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Import guy wanting to convert to domestic..

Old 02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Skuuu has disabled reputation
Default Import guy wanting to convert to domestic..

Well, I've always had a thing for Fox Body mustangs. I've always been into the honda scene since I first got a Honda. I've put together quite a few Honda's and It's just getting old I guess.

I'd really like to get a Nice Condition Fox Body 5.0 and turbo it. The only thing keeping me from getting one, is I'm a noob at Domestics/V8's. I don't know a whole lot about the "3.73" rear ends and T5 and fourty sixs haha. I really would like to learn though.

What are some good Information websites for me to start learning and studying up? I'll always have love for a Honda, but its time to move up onto something bigger.

Thanks for the help in advance..
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic
Default Re: Import guy wanting to convert to domestic..

http://www.hardcore50.com for advanced technical knowledge
http://www.corral.net for newbs
http://www.virginiamustangenthusiast.com/forums for some cool local guys
Old 02-15-2007, 03:01 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

my recommendation is to start buying up some muscle mustang & fast ford magazines. a lot of the terminology you might not understand at first, but you should get it eventually through context.

as for 3.73 gears, that's a rear end drive gear ratio that is extremely beneficial to acceleration. i think the stock gear ratio is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.55 or so (could be mistaken for old chevy's, it's been a while since i was into domestics). not necessarily an easy install, so it would probably be beneficial for you to pick one up with those already installed. 3.73 should be pretty streetable too, it's a very common gear and shouldn't put you at 5500 rpm in 5th gear on the interstate like, say a 4.88 would.

t5 is the most common 5-speed manual transmission mustangs came with from the factory.

idk wtf a 46 is, unless it's in relevance to the 4.6 sohc motors found in the 94+ gt's and 96+ everything.

the key to mustangs, i can tell you from firsthand experience, is to pick one up in good condition. you might pay a little more initially, but overall you'll be happier with your purchase if you don't have to worry about nickel and dime bullshit to get it looking/running good before you even start making it fast, unless you like that sort of shit. also, a lot of them are really beat to hell, so you'll have to look hard to find one that's been well taken care of. cool fucking cars though, if they're done right.

Last edited by blackout; 02-15-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Hi Skuuu has disabled reputation

Appreciate the help so far, thanks Blackout that helped me out. I guess learning the terminology is the same as learning honda's. Shouldn't take to long. I'll pick up a few magazines and start looking. I have always been fascinated by clean fox body's.

Thanks for the sites Nic
Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Team Ultra Slow

1998Silverbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smokeless EF
Appreciate the help so far, thanks Blackout that helped me out. I guess learning the terminology is the same as learning honda's. Shouldn't take to long. I'll pick up a few magazines and start looking. I have always been fascinated by clean fox body's.

Thanks for the sites Nic

I have about 10 5.0 and MM&FF if you want them.. Just shoot me your number.. trying to clean out the house before we move into our new one..
Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

If you're looking to learn about turbocharging the car, there is NO better source than www.turbomustangs.com

Just make sure you search on all of the websites. Everyone on all of those sites are pretty much dicks when it comes to people asking questions that have been answered millions of times.

If you're serious about it, I recommend this:
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ford-...e=UTF8&s=books
Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Team Ultra Slow

1998Silverbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blackout

idk wtf a 46 is, unless it's in relevance to the 4.6 sohc motors found in the 94+ gt's and 96+ everything.

Actually the 4.6 didnt come in a mustang untill 96.. 94 and 95 were still 5.0's
Old 02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by 1998Silverbird
Actually the 4.6 didnt come in a mustang untill 96.. 94 and 95 were still 5.0's
you sure you're not talking about the cobras? i thought the gt's were 4.6s those years but the cobras kept the 5.0s until 96...

not necessarily a mustang dude so i definitely could be wrong...
Old 02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

SN95s were 5.0 powered.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by blackout
you sure you're not talking about the cobras? i thought the gt's were 4.6s those years but the cobras kept the 5.0s until 96...

not necessarily a mustang dude so i definitely could be wrong...
He's correct.

Both the GT and the Cobra were powered by a 5 liter until '96. The difference between a GT and Cobra past '96 is that the GT was powered by a 2V 4.6 and the Cobra was powered by a 4V 4.6.

Last edited by Brock Obama; 02-15-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Import guy wanting to convert to domestic..