Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Illegal Exhaust ticket, what to do?

Old 04-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G32BTurbo G32BTurbo
Default Illegal Exhaust ticket, what to do?

So I'm drivin down Big Bethel minding my own, doin the speed limit and i see a cop in my rearview. I'm like, whatever I'm not speeding or anything, jus on my way home. And then I see him put the lights on, I'm like what the fuck? So i pull over and wait to see what hes pulled me for. "Sir you have an illegal aftermarket exhaust. Your muffler is aftermarket there for its illegal. I could hear it a couple feet away."

I know its "illegal", but how come no one has ever givin two shits about it before? I've been driving with it for 2 years, I've passed many cops and they didnt do anything. I've had cops follow me and they didnt do anything. I wasn't speeding, I was following all the rules. I had gotten pulled for speeding in newport news and he gave me a warning and didnt give me an illegal exhaust ticket. I have a turbo, and stock catback, my muffler isnt loud.

Under the Law Section he put (21.1) 46.2-1049. SO what should I do? Go to court, or pay the fine? This is my first offence ever. Will this go on my record, will my insurance rates go up?? Any info/advice will be helpful.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:21 PM

lancerEVOVII is an unknown quantity at this point

i know people brought in pics of their mufflers with silencers on it and had it db tested and judge dropped it but i have no idea never happened to me dont have my exhuast yet
Old 04-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered member

socket_ has disabled reputation

before everyone tells you ways to get out of it, just pay the fine.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Banned

thelastmirage is an unknown quantity at this point

take a pic of your car with a stock muffler and tell the judge you changed it back to stock.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93 sprayn93

Go to a car shop and have it inspected. If it passes you should be ok. Ask the police officer what was your DB level. Then show the judje your inspection. OR pay 87.00 for your fine. Thats what i payed in chesapeake. No points.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:33 PM
Kimchee Wiggler

Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed Boostfed

NO DB laws in VA sorry! Also get a pic as someone said previously and your Insurance rates WILL not go up since this is a non moving violation. Good luck I just beat an exhaust ticket about 6 months ago.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:03 PM
LicenseNregistration

stealthassassin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by socket_
before everyone tells you ways to get out of it, just pay the fine.
yeah dude...pay it seriously...i write people for that and the judge tells me to go out and look at it and see if it is changed...if not then guilty...if you say i didnt drive the car....guilty.so hey as a hampton officer...my advice pay it....but the court thing its your right....and your decision...who was the officer anyway??
Old 04-05-2003, 11:06 PM
LicenseNregistration

stealthassassin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sprayn93
Go to a car shop and have it inspected. If it passes you should be ok. Ask the police officer what was your DB level. Then show the judje your inspection. OR pay 87.00 for your fine. Thats what i payed in chesapeake. No points.
oh yeah this DB crap...doesn't matter...the point of 46.2-1049 is that the muffler is to muffle the sound of the engine not increase it....well that pretty much sums it up at least...i had a guy pull that crap on me the other night....he had no idea i was in the car scene myself....so i was like hey man dont BS me....i know what i am talkin about....hahahah but yeah anywayz...doesnt work.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

Originally posted by stealthassassin
oh yeah this DB crap...doesn't matter...the point of 46.2-1049 is that the muffler is to muffle the sound of the engine not increase it....well that pretty much sums it up at least...i had a guy pull that crap on me the other night....he had no idea i was in the car scene myself....so i was like hey man dont BS me....i know what i am talkin about....hahahah but yeah anywayz...doesnt work.
yeah but i think VA should use the db level law like CA....
Old 04-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Drag757.com Alumni

G32BTurbo G32BTurbo

Originally posted by stealthassassin
who was the officer anyway??
PTL. Jason Barness, badge no. 559. I don't get it, i just got my state inspection a lil over 30 days ago, how come they passed me?

Last edited by G32BTurbo; 04-06-2003 at 04:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Illegal Exhaust ticket, what to do?