Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I need some VW help.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Stuck on I-66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot
Default I need some VW help.

A friend of mine has a 2000 Jetta 1.8T. He broke his timing belt because the people who replaced his timing belt didnt replace the tensioner.

To make a long story short, he has upgraded his turbo, bought a brand new head from ECS (i think thats the company) and bought all new vaccuum and return hoses and all kinda of crap(replaced all rubber with the silicone) under the hood.

The guy installing the head got everything together and then when he went to start it.. he was getting a bad misfire.. ran a compression test and then figured that the piston rings were fried.. so he replaced those too.

While he was replacing the piston rings.. he noticed that only 1 valve in one of the cylinders is bent.

My question is this.. what the hell would cause one valve to bend? I'm a honda guy myself so I don't know how VW engines are set up.. are there springs and retainers and all that crap in VW heads? would a failure of one of the components in the valve assembly cause only one valve in a cylinder to bend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by TehMascot; 07-08-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: I need some VW help.

It was all like hail mien führer and the other ones were just like sup
Old 07-08-2009, 04:43 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

incorrect installation.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Stuck on I-66

TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot TehMascot

Got some more info...

It is the middle valve on Cylinder #4.

The mechanic inspected all the other valves and none of the other valves are bent, and there was no contact with the Piston.

Originally Posted by ShawnD
It was all like hail mien führer and the other ones were just like sup
took me a second to figure out what you were saying..

i LOL'd.

Originally Posted by fc735
incorrect installation.
Incorrect install by whom?

the mechanic installing the head?

Or ECS Tuning?

Last edited by TehMascot; 07-08-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

somebody did something wrong, most likely when putting the belt on he didnt use the lockpin and torque the cam gear bolt correctly. Or, it was rotated while apart and tweaked a valve.

regardless, its most likely installation error. could have been a defective head, but most GOOD head companies test them before they go out the door.

That should have been sent as a lower head, and cam carrier separate, but it all depends on the tech installing it as to how it is popped on the car.