Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I need opinion's on "restoring"

Old 03-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need opinion's on "restoring"

Okay So I've been thinking about just keeping my car parked for a while. It's a 1989 CRX for some of you that do not know already. I keep running into problem after problem. It's mostly Electrical problem's as well and I need a paint job. So here is what I need your opinion's on. I plan on Restoring my CRX. I keep seeing all of these clean ass CRX's and think to myself, man I would love my car to be as clean as this. But I want better. I know it may be just a CRX to some of you all, but, As most see old camaro's and such, is a great deal to them. The CRX is the same way to me.

So anyway's, Since I keep running into these elecrical problems, I was just considering the following. Strip down the whole entire car. Purchase all new wiring from Honda if it is available. I'm talking the Engine wiring harness, the Ecu harness, all of the dash wiring, a new climate control, all new light harnesses and horn harness as well as the tail lights. Also, While my car is stripped down I was considering trying to paint it myself. You know, buy all the tools and sand paper, material's and everything needed for it. I'll be getting a new hood and door at the same time. I was going to just spray the engine bay, door jamb's and the entire body. Does that sound like a feasable idea?

Last but not least. My car has some wack suspension on it, which I believe is from Ebay. So therefore, I ride on the interstate as if I am on a trampoline with a fat kid bouncing it. I Was going to get ALL new suspension componets as well. Basically what I would like to do is to make this car as if it was brand new. Should I cut corner's and make it easier on my self by buying a second shell that is in decent condition and do it on that one or Just do it on this one? I mean I'd like to have a sunroof which the HF doesn't have that the SI does. I would appreciate your opinions. Remember, I know I could be getting a new car but I wouldn't be as satisfied with it as I would be with a CRX that is like new and people would be ogling at.

Thanks in advance...

Mike
Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 AM
rock ya body baby

IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES IPUNCHBABIES
Default Re: I need opinion's on "restoring"

if you have the time and money then do it.... or just buy a si shell and just wire up the b16
Old 03-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by black240
if you have the time and money then do it.... or just buy a si shell and just wire up the b16

I mean, I have the time to do this especially if I buy an SI shell. What I want to do is drive my car around the way it is while restoring another shell(the si shell) and then swap my B16 into that. Since the 564 bust, I'd rather be riding around in style instead of primer.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Buy a crashbook from honda, it should have oem part numbers for everything down to the new bolts.

Good luck, and be patient.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VR-4ever
Buy a crashbook from honda, it should have oem part numbers for everything down to the new bolts.

Good luck, and be patient.
Alright I will do that. I may be able to get my hand's on a crashbook since I'm going to be service writing at a new shop again, here shortly. If I need any help with the wiring I'll be in touch with you and John. Which no doubt I will always need some help.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

If you need a new harness, just go to the junkyard, and buy a new harness, for your model car. And just rewire it for MPFI and for the B16 swap. If your car starts and runs, it is probably not the harness itself. Just trace down the electrical problems.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SlowLS
If you need a new harness, just go to the junkyard, and buy a new harness, for your model car. And just rewire it for MPFI and for the B16 swap. If your car starts and runs, it is probably not the harness itself. Just trace down the electrical problems.
My car run's it's just my harness is all hacked up from when SOMEONE did the swap and the wiring seems to be shady. So I mean I don't mind going out and getting a new harness. BUT then again, I am going to be getting another CRX Shell so It all depend's on how that one's wiring is. I just don't want to have to keep running into problems with these 15yr old plus cars every month or so. I'd rather just do it once and do it right.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

Well I found a Site that I can order all the needed parts I may need.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com For OEM parts. All in all the shell I will be looking at getting may not need wiring. Next question. Should I go with all aftermarket suspension or OEM? and just drop it?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:19 AM
formerly si_zc_civic

fwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to behold

i would restore it. i plan on doing the same to my 90 hatch si eventually.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by si_zc_civic
i would restore it. i plan on doing the same to my 90 hatch si eventually.

Your car is nice and clean! Mine is primer, the lights are all crazy, the wiring is just fucked...oh yeah. My car was involved in a front and rear end collision so I tried to pull it out as much as i could and the bumper support is rusted as hell in the rear end. So I plan on getting another shell oh and I was hit by a drunk driver. When I do all this work to my new shell i'm getting I can get full coverage on it correct?

Quick Reply: I need opinion's on "restoring"