Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Hydrolocked my motor...

Old 09-03-2003, 08:22 PM
TiM-MaY!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the rough
Angry Hydrolocked my motor...

well.. after/during the downpours this evening... I was on the way to pick up a pizza from ODU... well... about 30 secs into the drive, we come up to a bit of water that is up to the curb, so I stayed in the shallow end of the water going about 10MPH when she died instantly....

I figured maybe just got some wires wet, but went to crank it... and the motor was locked...

so knowing you cant compress water, we push it back to the house, and later pull the plugs out and crank her over... well... my buddy whos done this with several trucks and cars said hes never seen that much water come outta a motor before... (at least the bottom of the hood is cleaned) lol

we dry it out the best we can, put the plugs back in and try again... well... nothing... turns over, and bumps a few times... pulled plugs, blah blah again... tried the 2nd time, almost started but then the motor froze when it stopped... took the intake off, looked down the manifold... yea.. theres enough for a few fish to live in there... so, hopefully I didnt f' anythign up, and I can dry the manifold out and it'll run...

I thought for sure my car woulda ran through it fine being the intake is nearly as high as the hood... but well... shit happens....

we'll see what happens tomorrow....
Old 09-03-2003, 08:28 PM
In the Head

Way2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these parts

Y didnt U just dissassemble the Motor?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:29 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

stick a shop vac into it and suck the water out lol
Old 09-03-2003, 08:36 PM
Smart Dumb cats

SHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond repute

Been through the same. Hydrolocked my motor last year in a flooded area. Wouldnt crank over. Let it sit for a day without starting it. Didnt start. Next day tried starting it and it fired up. water coming out the exhaust tip. I then drained all my fluids and car ran fine.

You shouldnt have fucked with it the same day. Trying to start it would have the possibility of bending your rods.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Originally posted by SHUT UP
Been through the same. Hydrolocked my motor last year in a flooded area. Wouldnt crank over. Let it sit for a day without starting it. Didnt start. Next day tried starting it and it fired up. water coming out the exhaust tip. I then drained all my fluids and car ran fine.

You shouldnt have fucked with it the same day. Trying to start it would have the possibility of bending your rods.
nah...the starter motor doesnt have enough power to bend a rod. depends on the rod ofcourse..but typcial not. if he would have bent a rod he would have already done when it got hydrolocked inthe first place.

I would seriously drain all ur fluids first before you attempt to start it again. gluck man
Old 09-03-2003, 10:44 PM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy

Damn Tim, why didn't you just pick up the car and carry it across the water????????
Old 09-04-2003, 02:59 AM
TiM-MaY!

coolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the rough

I plan on gettin it started, then as soon as I do that, changing the oil... I'm sure SOME water got into the oil being the cyl's were full....

Dave: I shoulda just called you up to go anyways... lol
Old 09-04-2003, 04:29 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

just an idea...but a way to get some water out (after the engine actually turns over) or just to see if there is still water in the cylinder, is to remove the spark plugs one by one while cranking the engine. you'll see water shooting out where the plugs were.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:50 AM
I am the way.

Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula

No.

Remove them all, and crank it over... get as much water out as you can... spray some starting lubricant into the cylinders, then let it sit for a few days

Taking them out one by one will just break something, you want to prevent compression.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:58 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ambient
No.
Taking them out one by one will just break something, you want to prevent compression.
Your right Ambient. The addition of the water increases the CR.

My Bad!!

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked my motor...