Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

how safe is the zex kit

Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slowciv91 has disabled reputation
Default how safe is the zex kit

i am thinkin about puttin a zex nitrous kit on my 94 civic coupe with a stock b16 . do u think it will be safe. i am tryin to get more horsepower out of it without turbo . what should i do
Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Autophobic

CivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud of
Default Re: how safe is the zex kit

wet, dry? Do dry shot on your stock b
Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Pulling The Weight

PureBreed has disabled reputation

Yes it's safe, just matters what you want to do with the car and how much of a shot your trying to run.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by CivicDuty
wet, dry? Do dry shot on your stock b
Safe is a relative word..

As for the wet/dry argument:
That has nothing to do with whether it's safe or whether it's stock. How you introduce it into the engine doesn't matter, it's the amount of nitrous that matters, and whether you have the fuel to safely support whatever you add. Dry is easier with small amounts of nitrous, because the install is easy.

What you should be concentrating on is how much you want to risk your engine. Figure out a safe balance of power and engine stress that you're comfortable with, and shoot for that with the amount of nitrous (or type of prepackaged kit) that you choose. Just like any other power adder, the key is in the tuning..
Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

IRun9s has disabled reputation

.h

Last edited by IRun9s; 11-06-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Just like any other power adder, the key is in the tuning..
Quoted for truth
Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

NITROUS IS SAFE. Its retards that do not use it correctly that are not safe!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by IRun9s
dry-does more damage to your motor

wet-does less damage and mixes with your gas so the motor can support it but smokes alot when you on the juice
horrid response, silence yourself now.im assuming you think that the nitrous is hitting the combustion chamber DRY for some reason. It still has to mix with fuel when it comes through the intake manifold and hits the injectors points, when the air/nitrous/fuel are swirling through the intake manifold to the combustion chamber they are mixing. Its the ratio of nitrous thats gonna not be safe for something, not really the way its put into the engine. There are arguments that dry setups deliver more nitrous to closer cylinders but i havent read anything that really proves it but with arguments on which cylinders run hottest in a car, its a good argument. I bet you think nitrous is what causes the damage to a motor huh ?.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 11-02-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

wet-does less damage and mixes with your gas so the motor can support it but smokes alot when you on the juice
Wow. I couldn't even make this stuff up..

What you're saying is more than a little misguided. It's not even true in fact.

Smoking with a wet (or any other type) nitrous kit is from improper tuning, in this case too much fuel for the amount of nitrous added. You can do this with a dry system also, if that isn't tuned properly either. This is safer than running lean, and just wastes gas (visible by the smoke).

I have no idea why someone would tell you that a dry system does more damage, the only thing that does damage is adding power if the engine isn't strong enough to handle it or is not tuned correctly so there are lean conditions, detonation, whatever.
This is like saying that a carburetor will hurt your engine, and fuel injection won't hurt your engine but it makes the engine stutter. Well, if they're both tuned like crap, they both perform like garbage. Neither will hurt anything (and both will perform beautifully) if they're tuned to any degree.

The fun thing about nitrous kits is that anyone can drop a few hundred bucks, put on a nitrous kit, blow something up, and then tell all of their friends that nitrous is unsafe and it blows up stuff. These people don't have any common sense, don't believe in tuning, don't think they need tuning, or want more power than they should be adding and are too lazy to so the supporting mods. Oh, and the tuning. Have I said "tuning" enough?

Seriously, one of my biggest complaints about the tuning industry (and not just imports) is that misinformation spreads like crazy without any real understanding of what is actually happening, or why. I had a customer a few years ago (not automotive) that complained about reliability all the time, and told everyone he knew how bad our product was. It turned out that he had our product improperly installed, improperly wired (don't get me started on that), and improperly setup in software. He was a raging idiot and did huge damage to our reputation because of his stupidity and unwillingness to figure out what was wrong, or why.

All I ask of people is that they can support their opinions and don't just spread rumors and third,forth, whatever-hand knowledge that isn't even true.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-02-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Fucking newbs

Quick Reply: how safe is the zex kit