Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How to negotiate prices at Dealerships

Old 10-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
outtatime703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to negotiate prices at Dealerships

This will be the first time i'm buying a car by myself and was wondering the lowest price I can offer the dealership in relation to the price they're asking for. I've been looking to buy a 350z and the prices at each dealership has differed drastically. Passport Nissan has been selling fully loaded 03 and 04 350z's with less than 30k miles for 6-8k below kbb value and they give 3 yr 100k mile warranties with their cars. I have not found another dealer that's offering such low prices.

Is there a rule of thumb on how much I can offer the dealership like 10%-20% less than what their sticker price? I just don't want to get laughed off the lot. I'm 20 and have an excellent credit rating I just got my credit score and history and I'm ranked in the 80th percentile. I'm just worried the dealership won't take me seriously cause I'm young or they'll try to take advantage of me by not willing to negotiate on the price or raping me on the interest when financing.

Also, I was told that the best time to get a car is the end of the month when dealers are trying to meet their sals quota. Does it affect the price by much?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Default Re: How to negotiate prices at Dealerships

Tell them what you are goign to pay.(sensable of course) If they wont take it, walk off. Plain and simple.

Come back after you by it from another dealer and show it off to the salesman.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

I'm trying to find out what's sensible. If a car is price at 26k is it sensible to offer 21k?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

i'm in sales(not car sales...but still) and it's all a game. No matter how much they "discount" the price, the company is still going to walk away with enough money to pay their commissions and make a profit. So even if you think you are getting a good deal, they are just bringing you down to where they want you by inflating the initial prices because they know you are going to go lower
Old 10-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

hell say you have a cashiers check for 20k and call it a day. (if you financed it thru your bank) If they say they cant try another dealership.

The sales peopel ARE NOT your friends so dont feel compelled to buy from them or that you may hurt their feelings by walking off.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

look up the invoice price for the vehicle on edmunds.com or a similar site. then add $200-$500 to that, and call the dealership with that offer. that's for vehicles with relatively normal demand. cavaliers and shit you can usually get below invoice. but the important thing is to do all this over the phone... driving around is a waste of time for new cars.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

Originally Posted by Royalty
Tell them what you are goign to pay.(sensable of course) If they wont take it, walk off. Plain and simple.

Come back after you by it from another dealer and show it off to the salesman.

usually after you walk away, they 95% of the time will call you the next day and give it to you for the price you asked, unless it was ridiculously low
Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

I'm not looking for new cars but used cars that are 1-2 yrs old since i want something with a warranty. My question is how low should I go in relation to the kbb value or what their sticker price is?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:46 PM
-RepLegion

Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc Rosco The Iroc

Don't be afraid to get up and walk out, if they follow and keep talking, you can do better. A good one to do is after he gives you a $, wipe your forehead and ask the sales person "is it gone" they'll ask "is what gone" you- where I have stupid written on my forehead, make a better offer.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Luxury = Love

Originally Posted by Rosco The Iroc
Don't be afraid to get up and walk out, if they follow and keep talking, you can do better. A good one to do is after he gives you a $, wipe your forehead and ask the sales person "is it gone" they'll ask "is what gone" you- where I have stupid written on my forehead, make a better offer.

thats a good one, i'm gonna use that. hahaha

Quick Reply: How to negotiate prices at Dealerships