Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How to make a rattle can job last??

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Ohhh Snap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez
Default How to make a rattle can job last??

I figured this would have already been talked about but i guess not. Are there any steps i should follow to do a GREAT rattle can job,i know it cant look perfect hense it coming out of a can but im looking to make it last. So far i have stripped off the old paint/finish and sanded the wheels down to bare metal by hand Now before i go any further i want to know is there anything i should do next,say before i primer it is there something i should apply to help the primer stick?? After the primer has cured and i start with the "base" paint should i wet sand the primer?? Lastly is there any type of spray 'paint' that can make the base last and stand wear and tear,such as mounting and dismounting tires. Dont flame me for wanting to spray paint wheels,seeing how i do want them to look good.Any input at all is well appreciated!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to make a rattle can job last??

Hey, don't rattle can that car. Take it to Maaco or Earl Schieb. they will do a decent job if the car is preped. And cheep too!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Friendly Jackboot

sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80 sidewaysil80

when i first did my swap we (zenki godzirra, he did everything...i say we cause i stood around and smoked cigarettes) rattle canned it and it came out great. it lasted for a very long time. scuffed the whole car by hand and then put like three or four coats of semi gloss black. rustoleum ftw.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 PM
--------------

c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff c_murff

heres a thought.

gimme 20 bucks and i would have base coat and cleared them like u wanted.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Boostedfamily has disabled reputation

For wheels I use Duli-color wheel paint, I used there paint bonder that also comes in a spray can as a base coat the there clear for top. The key is taking your time it took me 5-6 hours to do mine and the ony time I had to touch them up was after a tire mounting and then i just re-sprayed the hole wheel for the hell of it.

This was just the base coat cause I wanted to rock the flat black look.

Heres base, clear after I had new tire on.

Take your time and if you have a metal garbage can that helps casue you can get it up where you can work and see the hole wheel with out herting you back. Also use 3x5 cards around the tire to not get ove spray on then, thats a lesson I learded the hard way.

Last edited by Boostedfamily; 01-01-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I used NAPA self etching primer over the bare aluminum when I painted my winter wheels, then painted them with Dupli-Color wheel paint. We'll see how it weathers. I'm expecting that the paint will eventually look like crap but the etching primer will stay in place. The NAPA etching primer is private labeled Sherwin Williams Automotive etching primer, and it's worked really well for small projects in the past, but I usually use it on steel.
Make sure you wipe the wheels down with a good grease and wax remover, acetone works also but whatever you do wear gloves. People laugh at me when I say this, but acetone is a fat solvent and is really not that great to get on bare skin. Don't use MEK, it's really unhealthy and it leaves a residue that will need to be removed with something like acetone anyway.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Reppin The DOHC

turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies turbofordummies

my advice sand until u cant feel your arm...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by turbofordummies
my advice sand until u cant feel your arm...
Work smart, not hard. Sandblast those things.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:36 PM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

just put each coat on very lightly.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 PM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

light coats.

alot of them.

clear coats.

alot of them.

Quick Reply: How to make a rattle can job last??