Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: How do you start your vehicle?
Cold start and drive
57.14%
Cold start and let it warm up
45.05%
Something about a brock character.
26.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

How do you start your vehicle?

Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Troll & Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default How do you start your vehicle?

I was getting hassled at work for always starting my vehicles up early with enough time for them to reach operating temperature. So I am wondering who else does it, and you can give a reason why you do it. I personally just hate driving a cold engine.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!
Default Re: How do you start your vehicle?

I normally will let the ruckus warm up for a solid 1-2 minutes before driving, because its brand new.

Miata/truck were mostly cold starts, unless its cold as fuck and i want to get some heat in them before freezing my ass off on my way to work.

also, IIRC, the most wear on a engine is the 30 seconds of start up
Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

I dont give a fuck about my current car. Just on and go.

Caddy I would start up and let warm for two minutes and then Im easy on it till it gets completely warm.
When I have turbo vehicles I always let them warm up till they are good to go.

The new car Im getting the wife Im going to put a remote start in so she can let it warm up and then get in since she wil be prego
Old 10-30-2011, 04:09 PM

slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion slomotion

I start it up, drive like a grandma until I get a decent temp
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

Originally Posted by slomotion
I start it up, drive like a grandma until I get a decent temp
this.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Originally Posted by ShawnDubstep
I was getting hassled at work for always starting my vehicles up early with enough time for them to reach operating temperature. So I am wondering who else does it, and you can give a reason why you do it. I personally just hate driving a cold engine.
I used to do that too, but there was study that came out not too long ago that said it was actually better for engine longevity and wear to start and drive slowly (under 3000rpms) until it reaches operating temp. So that's pretty much what I do now, I usually let it warm up for a minute till the idle settles down. By the time I get to the highway it's ready to go. Of course, it's oil temp which is important, not water temp. Usually takes a bit longer for oil to reach operating temp.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:12 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Depends on how cold it is.

But a general rule of thumb is I let it warm up until the temp gauge moves. But I generally keep it under 2,500rpm until the temp hits normally. Which is usually in 2 or 3 minutes of driving. Not a hard feat in a C5 with a 6 speed.

My F250, it's diesel and I have a remote start on it. Since it's also my daily i'll usually let it warm up to normal while sitting in the drive way on the really cold days.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

Originally Posted by POS DSM
I used to do that too, but there was study that came out not too long ago that said it was actually better for engine longevity and wear to start and drive slowly (under 3000rpms) until it reaches operating temp. So that's pretty much what I do now, I usually let it warm up for a minute till the idle settles down. By the time I get to the highway it's ready to go. Of course, it's oil temp which is important, not water temp. Usually takes a bit longer for oil to reach operating temp.
Pretty much exactly what I do. Start it, let it sit for 30 seconds or so to get the oil circulating, then drive easy till it it warms up.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by Reloaded
Depends on how cold it is.

But a general rule of thumb is I let it warm up until the temp gauge moves. But I generally keep it under 2,500rpm until the temp hits normally. Which is usually in 2 or 3 minutes of driving. Not a hard feat in a C5 with a 6 speed.

My F250, it's diesel and I have a remote start on it. Since it's also my daily i'll usually let it warm up to normal while sitting in the drive way on the really cold days.
you got a stack on it bro?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

nah dude I seent it its made dope slammed on 16x12 Sportmaxx with a -15 et rollin on those mad stretched cooper tires 195 series with that wood grain trunk bed yo

Quick Reply: How do you start your vehicle?