Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How can you get it legally OK'd to have a darker than legal tint on your car?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Eat me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default How can you get it legally OK'd to have a darker than legal tint on your car?

I know I've heard of people talk about getting a doctors note or something like for the darker tint and present it to a judge and it was OK'd. I was also wondering if the same could be done for the windshield. My eyes are like real sensative when it's bright out and it causes me to squint pretty hard if I forget my sunglasses and I end up getting headaches.

I was just wondering if there's a way I could legally be allowed to get darker than legal tint and possibly even be able to tint my windshield some. It doesn't make sense that they'd rather me wear sunglasses because those block out some of your peripheral vision and I don't see how they'd rather my vision be blocked than my windows tinted.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this. Plus of course I think darker tint looks better, but still this is actually more about preventing having to squint and get headaches when I happen to forget or misplace my sunglasses. thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 06:02 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah
Default Re: How can you get it legally OK'd to have a darker than legal tint on your car?

My next door neighbor has incredibly dark tint all the way around his car because he has some sort of medical condition that allows him too. I'd imagine you would have to go see an eye doc. to get evaluated and actually be diagnosed with some form of eye condition. If not your screwed. On another note, he gets stopped CONSTANTLY by the po-po, he gets out of the ticket, but not always on the spot. About 50% of the time he has to go to court, which seems like a big inconvience. See what I'm getting at? I don't think it would be worth it.

ANd the reason why "they" rather you block your own vision is so your window tint doesn't block "their" vision into your car.

Besides, why don't you just get a couple more pairs of sunglasses and keep a few in your car. Decent shades cost about as much as a cheap tint job and would be alot better than having to deal with the law-enforcment hassle.

Last edited by FObangah; 06-03-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:03 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: How can you get it legally OK'd to have a darker than legal tint on your car?

You can take your sunglasses off at night. Thats their reasoning. What is the legal limit in VA?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 AM
I<3Turbo

sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts

Prescription windshield tinting is possible when your doctor certifies that a medical exemption is desired. With the exception of California, states are not going to argue with your physician if he or she agrees with you about how the reduction of ultraviolet and infrared light is in the best interest of your health. The amount of tint allowed is going to vary from state to state and probably from year to year for the next few years as the understanding of what the skin damaging effects of ultraviolet and the irritating effects of infrared are just becoming more widely known.

It is advisable to secure the tinting you need and no more. Heavily dark tinted windows, no matter how cool they might look, are uncomfortable and dangerous at night and other low-light conditions. A driver simply is unable to discern people and objects in the dark in time to stop safely in the reduced visibility.

Before committing to a windshield tint, get details on the prescription requirements and if there are any restrictions to someone driving your car. Since there are no national standards governing windshield tinting and auto glass tinting in general, rules governing it is all up to the states.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:10 AM
SPARKLEmotion

FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
You can take your sunglasses off at night. Thats their reasoning. What is the legal limit in VA?
That too

Here's a quick link I found of the legal limit.
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_va.html
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

50% on driver/passenger side windows, 35% on rear window.

50% isnt even worth tinting either, barely looks different compared to no tint. 35% all the way around generally won't get you much attention from cops and looks good.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 AM
I<3Turbo

sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts sexy gts

Maybe I’m the one reading it wrong but from what i understand he is already aware of the laws, he wants to know what he has to do to make it legal to be able to tint in windshield.

So I don’t think all of you repeating the VA tint laws is helping him out much.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by sexy gts
Maybe I’m the one reading it wrong but from what i understand he is already aware of the laws, he wants to know what he has to do to make it legal to be able to tint in windshield.

So I don’t think all of you repeating the VA tint laws is helping him out much.
Originally Posted by burnoutboy

Keep up
Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
I<3Turbo

Originally Posted by FObangah
That too

Here's a quick link I found of the legal limit.
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_va.html
Originally Posted by catfSSh
50% on driver/passenger side windows, 35% on rear window.

50% isnt even worth tinting either, barely looks different compared to no tint. 35% all the way around generally won't get you much attention from cops and looks good.
You should "keep up" the person directly above you posted the same damn information.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by Slimsta Jimsta
I know I've heard of people talk about getting a doctors note or something like for the darker tint and present it to a judge and it was OK'd. I was also wondering if the same could be done for the windshield. My eyes are like real sensative when it's bright out and it causes me to squint pretty hard if I forget my sunglasses and I end up getting headaches.

I was just wondering if there's a way I could legally be allowed to get darker than legal tint and possibly even be able to tint my windshield some. It doesn't make sense that they'd rather me wear sunglasses because those block out some of your peripheral vision and I don't see how they'd rather my vision be blocked than my windows tinted.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this. Plus of course I think darker tint looks better, but still this is actually more about preventing having to squint and get headaches when I happen to forget or misplace my sunglasses. thanks
I thought weed made your eyes better?

Quick Reply: How can you get it legally OK'd to have a darker than legal tint on your car?