VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   horsepower wars (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/horsepower-wars-96893/)

Brock Obama 06-08-2005 12:51 PM

Re: horsepower wars

Originally Posted by reuter
japan has been crap since they stopped sending RX7s and supras to america. the end.

period.

blackout 06-08-2005 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shawn
" The only American car competing was the No. 26 Viper entered by Team Taisan. The driver of the No. 26 car, Eiji Yamada made a best lap time of 1'32.914 qualifying for position 20 in the overall lineup."

from http://www.racezero.com/articles/3003.html

It was placed in the GT300 class, which is limited to 300hp. So basically, they're almost cutting the vipers HP in half, because they didnt want to let it compete in the GT500 class against cars that it is used to competeing in, in a little race called LeMans.

that's a long ass article, i don't want to go pecking through it, but does it say anywhere in there that anyone actually exluded the viper from competing in the gt500 class, or is that just your speculation? doesn't seem like it should be much of an issue- if the car must have a certain amount of horsepower then why should it be at such a huge advantage just because it's a viper?

Moriar 06-08-2005 12:51 PM

I thought that certain cars were classed into whatever class they have, but like I said, i dont actually follow the series so I dont really know.

No, how they class is if you have 500Hp then you compete in the GT500, if u have 300HP you compete with GT300, now GT300 is more aggressive then GT500 imo, so maybe thats why the Viper tried goin GT300, but it failed due to being underpowered..

eeterp 06-08-2005 01:04 PM

and as far as im concerned, america has the american performance car market in a box. like you said, japs dont have shit for the above $40,000 class. they dont have a performance truck in the US. they dont have anything that will hang with the 03 cobra in a straight line, let alone mod for mod. the GTO is whipping ass in its class. all japan has to offer is the evo and the sti. the 350z is overpriced, slow and heavy. the rx8 is a turd when its not on an autocross. the s2000? nope. civic SI? hahahaha

europe is doing an alright job at the game, japan has been crap since they stopped sending RX7s and supras to america. the end.

I completely agree :thup:
Evos and STis are already coming in special editions to the US. It will be interesting to see how it plays out when the Supra, Skyline, and Rx7 (possible?) hit US shores. Then, the return of the Camaro. I'd still take a C6 over anything else at this point.

blackout 06-08-2005 01:05 PM

i dont find anything shitty about the mustang's interior design. i think it looks pretty bad ass.

and as far as im concerned, america has the american performance car market in a box. like you said, japs dont have shit for the above $40,000 class. they dont have a performance truck in the US. they dont have anything that will hang with the 03 cobra in a straight line, let alone mod for mod. the GTO is whipping ass in its class. all japan has to offer is the evo and the sti. the 350z is overpriced, slow and heavy. the rx8 is a turd when its not on an autocross. the s2000? nope. civic SI? hahahaha

europe is doing an alright job at the game, japan has been crap since they stopped sending RX7s and supras to america. the end.

japan has its offerings- you left out a significant (however often overlooked due to its price) 40000+ car in the nsx. also, toyota has plans for a new supra that will possibly be in ford gt/viper/z06 range, and nissan's gtr is coming here in 07 as well. plus the sti and evo are awesome cars- far better in my opinion than any rx-7 or supra (rx-7= most unreliable car ever, supra= dyno queen, but otherwise not very impressive in any form of real racing)

basically what you're suggesting is a matter of opinion. there are plenty of decent japanese sports cars out there, it just depends on what you want. not everyone wants a loud, bulky domestic v8. i'll admit the only f-body i've ever driven was a stock 97 z28 6-speed- it was decent but i didn't like the way it felt. i would choose less power for more refinement, especially when most of the f-bods are considerably more expensive than their japanese competition. but that's just me.

i would much rather have the option.

shawn22 06-08-2005 01:13 PM

I dont see how F bodys are more expensive than their japanese competition. I picked up my 94 Formula for 5500 and ran a 13.5 with less than $200 bucks in mods, half of which was fucking spark plug wires by MSD.

eeterp 06-08-2005 01:14 PM

The US needs to import a Ford. Yes, a Ford.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...epics/1613.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=8210

TripleSeis 06-08-2005 01:19 PM

Damn man this has moved alot sence i cought 2 trains from work. My past post were what i ment to be typed. The fuckin nurses were getting pissed at me for being online and closed my browser numerous times while dealing with patients.

Anyway. What i ment to say was...

Japanese makers make for japan and sell to the world

European tuners make for the world and sell to the world

American makes for america and sells to america

The japanese market doesn't want push rods, they don't want v8s and they don't want big fucking seats.
They want what F1 drivers have but they wont pay over 40k for it and so for that they can't make a 500hp motor that will sell to the people. But they will give you all the technology and a motor that you can work on from there.
Not to mention the government laws that they have to deal with ie the 280hp deal. The size of the car has to increase with more power to make it stable and that makes the price of onwer ship higher with parking fees and inspection cost, taxes ect. All of this affects what the OEMs will offer to the general public.

As for the american racing and politics...well SCCA has admitted to not being very turbo friendly in numerous prints and instructional books.

The viper running in the gt300 class is totally new to me. But its not because it was forced. Thats a team choice...The technology used in the super GT today is pretty nuts and it cost a ton of money to run in the top of the gt500 class. I've watched entire seasons for years now but thats not really too good of a serise to judge vehicals in ether. Just the most fun to watch.

It comes down to...yes i know my rx7 will max out at 600-700hp and make only 400-500 ft-lbs if i'm lucky but its what i want to tune. Its what is attractive to me. Not to mention i couldn't see my self driving down mountain roads in my z28....i did that in my 3000gt and look what happend.

Lets talk about this when the new "supra" and nissan GT come out.

Brock Obama 06-08-2005 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by eeterp

now that looks cool.

blackout 06-08-2005 01:21 PM

I dont see how F bodys are more expensive than their japanese competition. I picked up my 94 Formula for 5500 and ran a 13.5 with less than $200 bucks in mods, half of which was fucking spark plug wires by MSD.

used cars are decently priced nowadays i guess- i remember looking for one a while back and couldn't find an lt1 for less than 8000 (when i test drove the z28...)- but this was 3 years ago. i was talking more about newer cars. you still can't buy an 01 ss for less than 18k or so, right? i doubt you could find anything with an ls1 for less than 12 or 13 minimum, and for that you could probably buy an rx-7 or 300zx, possibly even a 94 supra tt with alot of miles.

or do what most people on here do, is buy a $2500 "econo-sports" car and put alot of money into making it faster.