VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Honda Accord CVT trans (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/honda-accord-cvt-trans-491156/)

SyedUmarAhmad 08-17-2016 09:23 AM

Honda Accord CVT trans

Whats up everyone, haven't been on in a while but wanted to see some others experiences with this car.

So i'm in the market for a 2013 Honda Accord auto and have just now come across this trans issue many people seem to be experiencing. Has anyone worked through this dilemma or is it just a common problem with all models? Anyone work at Honda can chime in on the warranty with this ? Is it covered under power train?

I ask because I will not be purchasing this car with an extended warranty and the last thing I want to do is trans maintenance or further yet, replacement in a car with 20k miles.

Thanks in advance

Yardjass 08-17-2016 05:02 PM

Re: Honda Accord CVT trans

Not familiar with this issue in particular but I can tell you right now, I flat out refuse to ever buy a car with a CVT. It is a garbage design fixated on fuel economy, not longevity. When one goes, you'd better hope you have some kind of coverage because if you're footing the bill yourself, you're not gonna like it. This, by the way, is the exact reason my parents got a '13 CRV and insisted on it when they could have got a '14. The Accord had already switched over but the CRV was in its last year with the regular auto trans.

SyedUmarAhmad 08-18-2016 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Yardjass (Post 8372615)
Not familiar with this issue in particular but I can tell you right now, I flat out refuse to ever buy a car with a CVT. It is a garbage design fixated on fuel economy, not longevity. When one goes, you'd better hope you have some kind of coverage because if you're footing the bill yourself, you're not gonna like it. This, by the way, is the exact reason my parents got a '13 CRV and insisted on it when they could have got a '14. The Accord had already switched over but the CRV was in its last year with the regular auto trans.

Yeah i'm hearing now that apparently all car manufacturers will be adopting the CVT design sooner or later in their transmissions, it seems Honda just hasn't perfected it with the Accord yet and i'm not willing to take a chance if i'm spending 15k on a car with no warranty. Which is really unfortunate because I was pretty set on one. And as much as I'd love to go with a 6 speed they are damn near impossible to find. I'm moving towards a Hyundai Sonata or Nissan Altima now..

Yardjass 08-18-2016 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad (Post 8372623)
Yeah i'm hearing now that apparently all car manufacturers will be adopting the CVT design sooner or later in their transmissions, it seems Honda just hasn't perfected it with the Accord yet and i'm not willing to take a chance if i'm spending 15k on a car with no warranty. Which is really unfortunate because I was pretty set on one. And as much as I'd love to go with a 6 speed they are damn near impossible to find. I'm moving towards a Hyundai Sonata or Nissan Altima now..

I'm not looking forward to that. I flat out refuse to buy a CVT equipped vehicle, or an automatic at all at the moment. I guess I'll just be buying old cars and driving them whenever manuals finally do go extinct.

Reloaded 08-18-2016 07:59 PM

I was in the same boat as you last year when I had to buy a new car, sadly if you want an automatic and a Japanese car there's a high probability it's going to be a CVT, at least if it's connected to a 4 cylinder.

I believe the V6 model still uses a traditional automatic.

That stated, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, but from what I understand it has to be put together in a NASAish cleanroom or you're going to have problems down the road.

Nissan has been using them since the early 2000s though so the modern ones have been on the market for a while