Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

Long story short the MP112 on my motor won’t fit in the vette and as such, is for sale. This leads me to a ‘what to replace it with’ dilemma. I want to keep positive displacement so I was trying to decide on blowers. I’m between the TVS1900 and the TVS2300. If I go with the 1900 I will be mid-high 600’s (if not 700's) to the ground and the motor is built for all of that. The other option I’m eyeing is the TV2300. Provided I don’t run out of fuel system or murphy the drive train, this blower can and probably would take me to the quadruple #’s HP mark. Now I can always pulley it up for less boost but the temptation is always there. (FYI at the 1000-1300hp mark the Al LSx block starts to do funny things). So probably in a niche here, for guys pushing the crap out of their motors, were you happy you went the route you did, or would you rather have scaled it back a little? Car will NOT be a DD fyi, just may be weekends and occasional to work/cruise.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Dont Hate

cp44 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?

I'm very happy with the power I'm outputting. Its right around where the motor is able to handle it (810hp). I will be retuning my car this summer when E85 is available again and hopefully I will gain a little more.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

First let me say, I don't have a high hp car nor is it fast.

...but couldn't you run the TV2300 and have it detuned?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
First let me say, I don't have a high hp car nor is it fast.

...but couldn't you run the TV2300 and have it detuned?
Originally Posted by RandomTask
Now I can always pulley it up for less boost but the temptation is always there..

The fact that you're close to making those numbers has me in awe. haha. dooo it!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I don't own a high hp car, but I've got experiance with them. In my opinion, anything beyond 600-700 hp is just too much for the street. It's "neat" at first, but unusable power gets old after a while. I think you'd have far more fun with the car with the smaller blower.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 AM
round ii

Black Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flite
I don't own a high hp car, but I've got experiance with them. In my opinion, anything beyond 600-700 hp is just too much for the street. It's "neat" at first, but unusable power gets old after a while. I think you'd have far more fun with the car with the smaller blower.
^^ This.
The original nugget put down 319whp supercharged @ 7psi with Novi 1000. Later I changed out a few things, turned it up to 12psi and made 358whp @ 12psi. I scrapped that setup, built the motor and turbo'd the car. First tune was 450whp on low & 517whp on high (don't recall psi). Second tune made 501 @ 22psi pump and 597 @ 27psi c16.
The new nugget is on it's third tune. The original was on a stock motor making 310whp at 8psi. The second tune was fully built making 404whp @ 14psi. The most recent tune with a bit of tweaking and software updates made 424whp @ 14psi.

Honestly, of all my setups the current making 424whp is by far the best. While 500+ is fun, it's just unrealistic... you can have fun, but all the squeaks, rattles, problems that come with that much power, lack of traction, boost lag, etc etc just aren't worth it.

Understand that you said that the car will NOT be daily driven, so the argument with likely be that you don't need something 'streetable'. Trust me, there is nothing more annoying than staring at your 500+whp car every day sitting in the garage while you take your beater to work waiting for the weather to warm up or weekend to come so you can enjoy what you spent your blood and sweat into.

Just my input.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by Flite
Exact answer I was looking for. I'd still like to 'try' to some auto-x's, *may be* some HPDE's, I just feel like driving a saturn 5 rocket would make it impossible.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

What block does your new motor have? Stock LS2 w/ a built bottom end? Stock crank? Not sure you can push 1000 rwhp w/o some serious trick parts, just brows the C5 and C6 FI forums and see the lengths those guys go to to make the cars "live" at those power levels. Also notice the combos never stay the same for any period of time... why? Well becuase shit always breaks at that power level no matter how expensive the parts you buy are.

Driveline stuff in C5s is expensive... and with the kind of power you want to make you're going to have to upgrade it all. Your stock driveline couplers will deteriorate with that type of low end torque. You'll be snapping transmission mainshafts, you'll be fragging rears and output shafts too.

I mean if you want a dyno queen and want to do roll races you can get buy, but if you want to use much more than 550 rwhp it gets very expensive very fast. And even when you do buy the best stuff it still eventually breaks... this is why most hi-po C5 guys eventually swap to a 4L80E auto. Not that the stock stuff isn't robust (for those who aren't familiar w/ the cars), it's just not setup to take tripple the OEM power and parts aren't cheap.

Plan out a complete build up then double the price. If you can afford that then go for it, if not... well then try to keep it in check. I'd get the TVS1900 and set it up for aroudn 600 rwhp and call it a day. Those blowers make instant torque so it's nothing like the boosted S2K that Chad used to have or a Supra or even a Corvette with a Centri blower. Low end torque destroys driveline... and IMO it's not a power band suited to the C5/C6 platform... plus you need a big ugly hood that kills your view from the driver's seat.

I'd ditch the PD blower completely and go w/ an ECS kit w/ the Novi2000. You'll easily make 750 rwhp on that motor setup you have, not need an ugly hood, and have a powerband that is a bit easier on the car. They still make killer torque from 2500 rpms on, but not full kill-mode @ 1000 rpms like a PD blower will.

Just my $0.02. Me... I don't care about going fast... I want to put my top down and roll w/ my nice exhaust and nice wheels.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Exact answer I was looking for. I'd still like to 'try' to some auto-x's, *may be* some HPDE's, I just feel like driving a saturn 5 rocket would make it impossible.
If that's the case they you need to leave your motor alone, sell what you just bought, and put your money into seat time and brake consumables. The motor you want to put in your car will add over 100lbs to the nose of the car, be a heat monster, and they like to chew up the rear belts in a road course environment.

Sure MTI in Atlanta road races their shop C6Z w/ a TVS on it, but that car gets constant trackside support and is a R&D car.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

One caveat: with the higher hp sometimes comes a decline in reliability/streetability. I'd take a smidge less power for the ability to drive my car long distances at times without concern.

Quick Reply: Higher HP guys - Are you glad you did it?