Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Is high mileage a worry for the chassis

Old 05-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILikeSquirtles has disabled reputation
Default Is high mileage a worry for the chassis

Ok there's this 91 mr2 swapped 3sgte I'm pretty interested in, only thing I'm a little freaked about is, it has 232,000 on the chassis!!! but relatively 70,000 on the motor. So what I was thinking, is it a problem if the miles are that high on the chassis? Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: Is high mileage a worry for the chassis

Originally Posted by ILikeSquirtles
Ok there's this 91 mr2 swapped 3sgte I'm pretty interested in, only thing I'm a little freaked about is, it has 232,000 on the chassis!!! but relatively 70,000 on the motor. So what I was thinking, is it a problem if the miles are that high on the chassis? Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.
.....Amazing first post......and if there is no frame damage, then miles don't mean shit and 232XXX? thats it's? there are cars that roll the Odometer over and keep going
Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
.....Amazing first post......and if there is no frame damage, then miles don't mean shit and 232XXX? thats it's? there are cars that roll the Odometer over and keep going
It's not just the chassis you have to worry about. Think about all the suspension components in there that are old as fuck/rusted/stuck.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

juss wondering, I'll get skeptic everytime I see the odometer haha.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

As long as it is straight, rust free and the little things are addressed (bushings, suspension, moving parts, etc) it should not be an issue.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking about getting coils on it and dropping it, would that solve the problem if it did have suspension problems?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

Originally Posted by ILikeSquirtles
I was thinking about getting coils on it and dropping it, would that solve the problem if it did have suspension problems?
It would take care of some of them. But there's still old ball joints, tie rod ends, all the bushings in your control arms. Just keep in mind that something with that many miles is gonna show wear.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by ryanherington
It's not just the chassis you have to worry about. Think about all the suspension components in there that are old as fuck/rusted/stuck.
the average person would think about things like that BUT if the car makes noises rides funny, or can't pass a safety inspection then that says something
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

you should push it off a cliff just to check its' durability, and then, and ONLY then, do you blast it with piss for good measure. After that, it should be "golden"/
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM
yaaat.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
the average person would think about things like that BUT if the car makes noises rides funny, or can't pass a safety inspection then that says something
I don't think the OP has much time around cars, considering he asked if just putting coils on the car was going to solve all of the suspension issues (if any)

Quick Reply: Is high mileage a worry for the chassis