Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

HID bulb replacement help!...(specs unknown)

Old 11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default HID bulb replacement help!...(specs unknown)

So I bought my current car with a McCulloch HID kit already installed. Well, today, the driver side bulb burned out. It had been getting dimmer and dimmer over the past weeks, and today it went.

So, I need to replace it, but I know nothing about it aside from the brand and what's printed on the ballast.

The ballast reads as follows:
Voltage...9-14v
Out put...35w +/- 3
Temperature...40 degrees c +105 degrees c

HID bulbs controller
DC 12v

That's all it says. I have the bulb out, but I don't know the bulb size nor the model number of the kit/ballast.

If I can find a local distributor, I figure I can bring them the bulb and see if they can't match it up with one they have. So does anyone know of a local distributor of HID bulbs/kits?

Last edited by IRR0MPIBLE; 11-02-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

StreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these partsStreetEvo is infamous around these parts
Default Re: HID bulb replacement help!...(specs unknown)

are you sure it's the bulb and not the ballast? the bulb should have some writing on it. But, do yourself a favor and swap the bulb into the other headlight and check to make sure that the ballast itself didn't die out on you. It might save you the hassle of buying a bulb only to find out the ballast went. Just my.02.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by StreetEvo
are you sure it's the bulb and not the ballast? the bulb should have some writing on it. But, do yourself a favor and swap the bulb into the other headlight and check to make sure that the ballast itself didn't die out on you. It might save you the hassle of buying a bulb only to find out the ballast went. Just my.02.
Good point. I'm not positive it's the bulb and not the ballast. I will definitely try the bulb on the other ballast. The bulb unfortunately has no writing on it.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

i've been doing my research on hids as i do with everything prior to buying and there are 2 types of plugs, 2 and 3 prong. other than that you just purchase the bulbs that fit your headlights and that are the same color temp. and you're done.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Mini Trucker.

Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower Need 2 B Lower

My mculloch kit came with a small sticker on each bulb telling me the temp, Not sure how to find out if they are not there. Try to match the color up on xenonpros.com
Old 11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Well, I connected the bulb that I thought was burnt out to the other ballast and it lit up. All of the connections to the ballast are tight, so I'm assuming the ballast has gone bad. I guess I'll have to take the chance on replacing it with a new one. If the bulb still doesn't light up when connected to the new one, then I don't know what the hell is going on.