Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Help and or Information Wanted

Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dynastypb555 has disabled reputation
Default Help and or Information Wanted

Hey Guys and Gals,

So over the past couple of months I have been doing research on what I want to be my second car. My mind is literally going in 20 different directions and I was wondering if I could have some help from the public. Below I am going to post where I am currently and some of the reasons why.

Currently: I have a 2006 VW Jetta MKV--Dont get my wrong I love this car, its just that I want something that I can be proud of. With all (or most) German made cars they are a bitch to work on, and if changed on the slightest way, you get bitched at by your car or the dealer. Bottom Line, I want something that I can be proud of.

Option 1: 1994-2000 Ford Mustang--Loud, Fun to drive and as American as they come. If you have the right Mustang, it will turn any head. Downside: Gas guzzler!!!! Especially with gas prices as high as they are.

Option 2: Early 2000's Subaru WRX: Fun Four Door car (although if I was to get one I would get the hatchback model), good in all conditions, AWD, and with the right mods on the car, can be a real head turner. Downsides: everyone that is for sale has way too many miles on it, or are way too pricey.

Option 3: 1990-2000 Nissan Skyline: Before anyone says anything, YES I KNOW THEY ARE ILLEGAL IN THE US. But if there was anyway that I could get one at the right price, I would most likely jump right at it.

Im open to any suggestions or comments on where I should maybe lean towards.'

Thanks

Last edited by dynastypb555; 06-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch
Default Re: Help and or Information Wanted

For starters you're going to need to be a little more realistic with your options. Prices for options 1 and 2 are going to be < $10k, while option 3 will run you easily $20k. I got equal or worse gas mileage in my stock 05 STi when compared to my "modified" 96 GT. If gas prices really are a determining factor in what you buy then you probably need to adjust your priorities.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Flinch is right, a WRX does not get the gas mileage you might think. Your choices all fall into very different categories.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Gas is not really the determining factor, its more of just another thing to add onto the pile. A buddy of mine has a V8 mustang and manages just fine with the gas, guess its more of just managing where and how you drive the car. But I forgot to add to the Mustang that you can fix mostly everything that goes wrong at home.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:44 PM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

Here is a question.

How much do you want to spend on the vehicle?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Id personally go with a scooby, but I despise pre-2011 mustangs and your damn sure not going to find a skyline for a reasonable deal considering how much option 1 and option 2 go for used.

Also dynasty sucks, infamous ftw =)
Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
Id personally go with a scooby, but I despise pre-2011 mustangs and your damn sure not going to find a skyline for a reasonable deal considering how much option 1 and option 2 go for used.

Only thing with the early wrx's is their transmissions. Especially if the OP is planning on doing any sort of mods.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by Joker.
Only thing with the early wrx's is their transmissions. Especially if the OP is planning on doing any sort of mods.
Ah I forgot to mention that, I've heard people say second gear might as well be made of glass lol. But I've never driven one myself =(
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joker.
Here is a question.

How much do you want to spend on the vehicle?
I was hoping to spend not more than 6k-7. I think its reasonable, granted most of the mustangs are going to probably have over 100k miles on them. Oh here is a question, how are the engines after 100k miles, I have heard both good and bad things (mostly as long as yo take care of 'em they will be fine).
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac

HAHAHA i would agree now, I have just always used this username for everything for so long, so why change it.

Quick Reply: Help and or Information Wanted