Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Head unit opinions please

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz
Default Head unit opinions please

So its been a long time since I've bought a head unit for a car and the last time I did that, I just bought something cheap to play CDs. Now with iPods being all the rage, I want to get one that works with iPods. I know Pioneer makes good head units, and so does Alpine. My knowledge on anything else is nill. I've found this head unit, and I like the idea of it. Detachable face plate, iPod connectivity and controlled through the head unit, and also has bluetooth which I like the convienence of being able to use my phone hands free. Driving a manual and talking on the phone isn't such a great idea, although I haven't had issues yet. Anyways, here's the head unit. Opinions on it or suggestions on others are very much welcome.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP...ures_and_specs

Cliff notes:
-Budget of $200
-needs to work with iPod and be controlled through the head unit
-Bluetooth is a bonus

I'm also going to need speakers, but I'm gonna look at those later.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

kwint has disabled reputation
Default Re: Head unit opinions please

Check walmart
Old 11-21-2008, 05:30 AM
DUBfresh.net

SLOWdsm is on a distinguished road

id really save a bit more and get the Pioneer DEH-6000.
ipod/usb control (i use an 8gb flash drive i got for $27.99 at circuit city)
satellite radio ready
8 band eq
blue tooth compatible
motorized face
looks great.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:35 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

^^ listen to this guy, he knows his shit
Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SLOWdsm
id really save a bit more and get the Pioneer DEH-6000.
ipod/usb control (i use an 8gb flash drive i got for $27.99 at circuit city)
satellite radio ready
8 band eq
blue tooth compatible
motorized face
looks great.

sounds nice..id go with that one to..but i do have a previous model pioneer and still love it
Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

rbhall65 is an unknown quantity at this point

a pioneer premire is definatly the way to go. they make awesome head units. you can get any thing from i pod, mp3s that are acutally saved on the head unit its self, satilite radio, some even are dvd playable. as far as money is concerned, you definatly get wat you pay for. in my experences the head units that let you control your i pods through them are not for me. i found it much easyer to just use a aux jack wich most usuall come with in the front and just control the i pod by hand but to each his own. anothe thing to look at as far as face plate goes is one that flips down to put in a cd or one that slides right in. the ones that slide right in are very easy as far as changing cds wile driving but they let a lot of dust and shit in. which will dust up your lens and will cause ur cds to skip. the head units that flip down do not let any dust in wat so ever and if you can deal with fliping it down everytme u change a cd, then its ur best bet. wat ever u do dont go sony, dual, jvc none of that cheap shit that looks cool in wal mart, fuck wal marts systems their junk even their pioneer products are old and bottom of the line. go to a nice licensed audio dealer so you can acutally play with it and make sure u like it before buying, this is in reality where ur acutally gonna find better deals. discount audio sounds is one of the best in my opion.

and as far as subs go....

rockfor fossgate all the way
Old 11-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

ludeluva has disabled reputation

If all you want is iPod playability realistically you could get away with any cheapo headunit that has an AUX port :P Thats all you need to be able to connect your iPod directly into the headunit. You will also need an AUX cable if you dont, but there cheap. If you can install it yourself for the headunit and AUX cable I think you could look at spending no more than $150-175! That puts some cash back in your pocket for gas or beer for the weekend :P
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

hkboy87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pioneer is good, but you need to buy the cable to hook up to your ipod. Using it my car right now and it works good. Just when scrolling through a huge list of artist, it might take soem time.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 AM
DUBfresh.net

SLOWdsm is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hkboy87
Pioneer is good, but you need to buy the cable to hook up to your ipod. Using it my car right now and it works good. Just when scrolling through a huge list of artist, it might take soem time.
the newest pioneer's let you search by letters. so you can scroll down to the R's, or T's...
also they come with a usb output, which you can plug ur ipod cord from your computer into, to avoid buying the pioneer cord. its the samething that comes with your ipod