Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Has anyone sandblasted their own wheels?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed
Default Has anyone sandblasted their own wheels?

I have a set of 18x8 chrome M3 replicas I'm thinking about experimenting on. This is more of a 'project for the experience' since the only thing I might use these for is snow tires so they don't have to come out perfect.

Anyone done this on painted or chrome wheels? Wondering if chrome is harder to remove than paint.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Has anyone sandblasted their own wheels?

pay to have them blasted...i own a cabinet blaster and a 110lb pot blaster...and i pay other people to do it...its too much work and mess to do it yourself...

and chrome is harder...you have to remove chrome,copper,nickel before you get to aluminum..
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed

These suckers are already peeling - probably 1/3 of the chrome is gone. This is a project/learning experiment, and I realize it's probably cheaper to have someone else do it.

Realistically, what am I looking at hours wise? I care more about time than equipment cost.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

well figure anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours a wheel..depending on how powerful of a machine you have..

seriously a shop would charge maybe 125-150 just to blast them..
Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Function > Form

RobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to all

You can try it yourself, I guarantee within the first 10 minutes you're going to say fuck it and save yourself the headache by taking them somewhere. Its tedious, like a lot of automotive work, but mostly its a huge mess like nftuatn stated.

I used my sandblaster on a few quarter size rust spots on the interior of my MG and even that was way too much of a mess. I would suggest looking for some place that does soda blasting. My friend had his bbs rs' done for about $200, taking off chrome may cost a bit more.