Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Good track car on a budget?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R_Gasm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good track car on a budget?

So I am researching a track bitch of some sort. My Volvo's hp exceeds my skill (I am HPDE 4 right now so I CAN drive...) so I am looking at some cars that can be had cheap, can be built on a budget and can remain light with good USABLE power. Looking for something around 2400-2800 pounds with about 300hp to the rear wheels. I like to have a good looking car too but aesthetics will be secondary for this project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAch0csWFU0 is something that I have found that I like pretty good as I have always had a thing for 510's and the Datsun 240's have been growing on me.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Rancer Evorution

Cube has a spectacular aura aboutCube has a spectacular aura aboutCube has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Good track car on a budget?

I absolutely love the exterior of a '71-'73 Datsun 240Z, but finding one without considerable rust damage might put you above the price range you might be looking for. What are you looking to spend on the project? You willing to replace rusted areas on an old Z?

Mazda Miatas have excellent handling, RWD, and you can get the lil turbo 4 banger and around 2500 lbs or so.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

salvaged type-r..edit didnt see the rwd part.. well you can convert it.. braille auto got rwd conversion lol.. s14
Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Banned

quickvic is an unknown quantity at this point

get a foxbody 5.0, port out the minor parts yourself, make friends with amachine shop have them bore it out, supercharge it and get a tune. there ya go.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

R_Gasm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking about a Miata. They are tough little cars. They will make you a better driver too by teaching how to use momentum and not relying in hp alone to get out of turns. I would love an S13/14 but everyone want too much for most of those. I would consider a shell if I could find the right one.

I would really like an E36 M3 SC'd but I think the Jap route would be better for replacing parts as they break. This is a GREAT rwd track car but when it is a purpose built car that gets used things WILL break.

The type R is a great car for tracking. I am not a fan of anything really that is fwd but I can def respect that car for what it is. Just more personal taste than anything.

As far as the 5.0.... I think Freightliner and Peterbuilt make better handling and lighter cars.... That is a no-go for HPDE/NASA.

Sorry for the long post and random thoughts. Sometimes it is just nice to brainstorm online where people can come up with new paradigms that I have not pondered.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

vdubya63 has disabled reputation

I know you said no FWD bur dont look past a well built 91-93 sentra se-r.. They can be had for cheap and come with sr20 motors in them already.Perfect platform for turbo and very well handling.. Something to think about
Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

quickvic is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you said no FWD but my friend has an ls/vtec b18 crx tuned and turboed...quick little car...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

duglas has disabled reputation

Miata, cheap, handles awesome, lots of bolt ones and support out there for it. I bought a 1994, which has the bigger 1.8L for $1500 a few months ago..
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Instructor

racerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the roughracerns is a jewel in the rough

I think you dismiss the Fox a little too quick. It can be brought down to 2800 lb for a track car, 300 rwhp is pretty easy, and the handling can be fixed (rip it out a start over with Griggs ). You might want to look at an E30 BMW as good possibility too. Either one of those has a series that you could move into if you want to take the next step and go wheel to wheel.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:02 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

here you go,

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showp...t=3778&cat=500

V8 Z!

Quick Reply: Good track car on a budget?