Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Good beginner stick shift?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov
Default Re: Good beginner stick shift?

well the miata is a "girls" car and the mx-5 is a "non-girly" car. although i can get a little more technical.. i believe the name change occurred in 06 with the debut of the nc? The nc was larger and more "polished". in my opinion the nc was a little more "girly". by "girly" i mean polished and less raw. you could eventually get the nc with the prht (power retractable hard top). there are actually a number of substantial differences between the two(na, nb vs nc). i personally prefer the NB generation. i must admit that i havent had the pleasure of driving a NA or gen 1. i have driven an early generation NB and my personal favorite the mazdaspeed nb. Often purist hate on the mazdaspeed nb. my father complained about the non linear power band, although we both agree that it was the most enjoyable and fun between the earlier non-turbo nb and his current 08 grand touring prht. unfortunately, he was rear-ended in the mazdaspeed and the car was never the same. not to go off on a tangent but the mazdaspeed was such a great miata. this vehicle taught me respect for rear wheel drive. i can only hope the new miata err i mean mx-5 compares. while i have driven 400+ hp mustangs you could never get those close to the limit. the mazdaspeed i could and it was plenty quick to get into trouble. i have tried to convince the old man to get the cosworth supercharger for the nc but i get the lecture that it is plenty quick for the city. i can appreciate that, but i find a fun power to weight ratio at these magic numbers. for every 1000 lbs 100 horsepower is needed. this led to an argument about my current vehicle the s2000. valid points were brought up in reference to the torque and gearing. so to answer your question the differences between the miata and mx-5 are generational differences. the na and nb vs the nc. i cant wait to drive the new one which i believe will come out in the spring of 2015. my apologizes for the poor sentence structure but its my day off.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:16 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

They're all Miatas and they'll always be Miatas. MX-5 is just the stupid name that Mazda thinks they can make stick to that car in an attempt to make it seem cooler and more masculine.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered member

s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov s2kov

lol! This could have turned ugly! Back to the topic question, it is one of the best stick cars to learn on.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by hellopanda520
Look on youtube and practice with any car.
Get those 15 posts son...you can do it
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
Get those 15 posts son...you can do it
Don't even pretend like that wasn't some amazing insight fuccboi. Hellopanda520 is a fucking oracle. If OP follows those holy words he's gonna be so good at rowing gears that he'll be in 8ast 8urious in no time.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:49 AM
Registered Member

slc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these partsslc757 is infamous around these parts

Maybe it was just me but I was thrown into a integra 5 speed without a stock clutch and learned fast. Getting out of 1st is the hardest part