Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Glass replacement

Old 08-28-2003, 05:47 PM
poop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate
Default Glass replacement

its been the judgment... i cannot remove all the adhesive from my back window.. its basically fried. i've tried every chemical i have been suggested to try. i had a professional (who installs tint for a living at the now out of business Xtrememe window tinting) and he couldnt get it off.. he said "throw a rock at it and replace it".

im about to do that.. but not a rock. just have it taken out and replaced. anyone suggest a place to get maybe used glass? or junkyard even?

thanks,
crate
Old 08-28-2003, 05:50 PM
Registered member

Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey Grease Monkey

I have a friend who does windsheilds on the side, I'm sure he would hook you up
Old 08-28-2003, 06:26 PM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

so you tried even the basic windex? thats all i ever use at work to remove the glue and it works. Your problem is really odd
Old 08-28-2003, 06:27 PM
no longer a moder8r

chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad

i have a citrus based cleaner i use at work that WILL take it off ... we use it to remove the adhesive left behind from removing vinyl lettering off boats and glass ... alot cheaper too
Old 08-28-2003, 07:01 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Adhesive remover isn't going to work....don't listen to these people. You have to use something that breaks down the plastic....like Gasoline possibly. All these "safe" adhesive removers won't do shit because they're made to save plastic...you need some harsh ass plasic desolving shit to get rid of the protective plastic, then you can deal with the leftover adhesive
Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Formerly Shinobi....

RatedV is an unknown quantity at this point

Crate you know (Grlracr) tiffany works for Safe lite auto glass now right?
She might be able to hook it up......Said she could hook it up for me and a few other pplz.....From expirience of sight most of the time they gotta cut that shit out.....

But you could try aircraft remover......
Old 08-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

I'll get a quote for you dude.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:17 PM
no longer a moder8r

chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad chad

Originally posted by VTECnology
Adhesive remover isn't going to work....don't listen to these people. You have to use something that breaks down the plastic....like Gasoline possibly. All these "safe" adhesive removers won't do shit because they're made to save plastic...you need some harsh ass plasic desolving shit to get rid of the protective plastic, then you can deal with the leftover adhesive
wow ... i work for a sign company ... what we use breaks it down into its liquid form ... I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT ... what i use isnt a SAFE adhesive remover ... its a highly flammable chemical that breaks vinyl (plastic) and glue down so it can be removed ...
Old 08-28-2003, 08:28 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

I wasn't really talking to you.....I used to live with Crate and I've heard a few suggestions from a few people...non of which would work. If you have some stuff that will break down the plastic then go for it....for sure.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:48 PM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

ya... ive tried EVERYTHING. Robo Adhesive remover, i even used 3m Industrial HIGHLY Flammable shit in a metal can. i almost passed out using it.

the 3m shit ATE wax off my surfboard when i used it to clean it. if it'll desolve wax i'd assume it would break down at least ALITTLE adhesive. but the shit on my window is beyond repair. i honestly think the glass is been baked to the shit. i scrubbed with a freakn brillo pad. it doesnt even scratch the stains.

i'll call Tiffany and ask her =] and thanks John.

if the shit ive tried doesnt get it off, no chemical besides wheel acid would work.

Quick Reply: Glass replacement