Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Giggle Gas

Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Troll & Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: Giggle Gas

Also lets talk about the price of cams and springs compared to some NOZZZ applications.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Ultimately, the car will be going LT's, 3.90 quaife, LS6 heads, LS6 intake, and a G5X3 cam with roller rockers. I think that should give me 400hp that will pull. After all that, I'll be doing some HPDE's
Here's an idea... dont do any of that crap. Once you do an HPDE you'll ask yourslef why you did all the other crap to begin with.

I'd buy a helmet, some fresh pads, flush the brakes, and go run a few HPDEs. Then as you progress you can buy wheels/tires etc.

I wouldn't waste my time messing around w/ the nitrious, but that's just my preference. I prefer my power there all the time vs. having to futz w/ the bottle and making sure it's full, hot, and up to pressure etc.

Corvetteforum has a FI/nitrous section... they'll set you straight. Also, Bake said TR55s, but don't you need one step colder for N2O? The TR-55s are what I run and most all other nA applications. I belive the TR6s are the next step colder plug.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Its going to be a LONG time before i run the N20, but since I got a retarded good deal on it, I picked it up. I ran into Greg Poteski (last name?) last night and was talking to him. Already have the helmet. I was planning on going C6Z brakes but after talking to him, they're over-rated and I should step off my Hawk's and jump onto some Carbotechs. Already gonna pick up a set of wheels for auto-x's, prob use the same for auto-x.

I really just want a little bit more pull which what I've listed, would get me where I wanna be. I've been browsing the corvetteforum, just getting more input.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

C6Z brakes require new wheels and truly suck for track use. Get some Stoptech SS brake lines, and some good pads.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

aj_bacalso has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BigBake
You assume that other mods do not come with risk, like installing a cam and springs for example. In order for you to do this you must pull the balancer and front engine cover off, there is risk in that alone, many have broken balancer bolts off in the crank snout. The risk of introducing debris into the engine during the process or water intrusion exist. The camshaft itself if not checked may actually be longer duration or higher lift than what was ordered and well when Mr Valve meets Mr Piston it is not going to be pleasant. It happens quite often and further the additional RPM that can be achieved with a different camshaft and specifically the year of LS1 this person has can stretch rod bolts.

That is just some of the risks with that mod, but you also assume that N2O is dangerous or much more risky when in fact it is actually less risky when installed correctly with the right equipment in place. The stock fuel system is safe to a 150rwhp wet shot. The removal of 2 degrees of timing ensure a safe buffer along with the cooler spark plugs. The RPM switch prevents potential problem by cutting the system above specified point. The N2O is not constantly on and is only used when needed, so it is not stressing the motor like a cam and heads do constantly. It needs no other supporting mods to get the maximum gain.

I seriously doubt someone got 71 rwhp out of just a cam install on a completely stock LS1. Average gains are 25rwhp with near 40rwhp on the high side without headers and 10-15 additional with. You would need a set of heads and an aftermarket intake in place to achieve 70rwhp with just a camshaft.

edit: Your observation skills are lacking, I read your link. He installed LS6 heads and an LS6 style intake manifold, further Patrick G can spec a camshaft like no other, but take any dyno with a grain of salt. Further they used stock exhaust manifolds which is not the same as stock exhaust, this is a custom roadster they installed in which the stock manifolds are like shorty headers.

You assume the stock internals are not strong enough to handle the N2O, yet you believe they are strong enough to handle a camshaft install and further modifications without a need for additional strength. I doubt you know much about anything in an LS1 if you believe there is a difference. More people destroy motors with internal modifications than with N2O when the system is set up properly.

touché
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Also, Bake said TR55s, but don't you need one step colder for N2O? The TR-55s are what I run and most all other nA applications. I belive the TR6s are the next step colder plug.

Yes, it would be TR6's. I had TR55 on the brain.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Its going to be a LONG time before i run the N20, but since I got a retarded good deal on it, I picked it up. I ran into Greg Poteski (last name?) last night and was talking to him. Already have the helmet. I was planning on going C6Z brakes but after talking to him, they're over-rated and I should step off my Hawk's and jump onto some Carbotechs. Already gonna pick up a set of wheels for auto-x's, prob use the same for auto-x.

I really just want a little bit more pull which what I've listed, would get me where I wanna be. I've been browsing the corvetteforum, just getting more input.
what hawk pads do you have?

I have carbotech on my miata, and honestly im not a fan...I've known a few people that say the same for other cars. The carbotechs stop the car fine, but have hardly any pedal feel....lack an aggressive initial bite. I have xp10s and xp8's on the rear.

I liked my hp+'s i had better, but had to step up to a pad that could handle more heat.

Raybestos makes some nice pads from what ive heard, its all preference after all

But i also agree with Brian on this one. Save your self from all the extra power before HPDE's, get some good pads, fluid. Harness bar+harnesses, and learn to drive the car...then add parts.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by JETSWU87

I have carbotech on my miata, and honestly im not a fan...I've known a few people that say the same for other cars. The carbotechs stop the car fine, but have hardly any pedal feel....lack an aggressive initial bite. I have xp10s and xp8's on the rear.

I liked my hp+'s i had better, but had to step up to a pad that could handle more heat.

Raybestos makes some nice pads from what ive heard, its all preference after all

But i also agree with Brian on this one. Save your self from all the extra power before HPDE's, get some good pads, fluid. Harness bar+harnesses, and learn to drive the car...then add parts.
Have the HP Ceramics which honestly, feel completely stock. I'm really not shooting to be competetive, just fun; hence the upgrades.

Side note: Anyone heard of running smaller rear rim diameter (bigger sidewall) for better turning? I'd imagine that would induce oversteer.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by JETSWU87

The HP+'s didn't handle heat well for you?

Kienen put Hp+'s and cryo treated slotted Powerslots on the Camaro and I couldn't make them fade or fail. The rotors hardly wore after a set of pads ~4500 miles. I was going though two sets of pads before the rotors needed replacing. It's what I'm gonna go to on the vette when the time comes for brakes.