Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

getting License in North Carolina, Insurance MANDATORY without car???

Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
yard man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
professorman has disabled reputation
Default getting License in North Carolina, Insurance MANDATORY without car???

My brother is in University in North Carolina, and he is trying to get his license, but they are saying that he NEEDS insurance for himself to be able to get a license, even though he does not own a car.
He has been getting quotes, and they run in the range of ~$900 for six month. That is CRAZY for someone who does not own a car.

My cousin in Pennsylvania tried to add him to her insurance, but they say that they only insure the CAR and not the driver. Anyone who drives the car is covered under the car insurance.

I can not add him to mine, because I had a string of bad luck the other day and I dont want them to check my driving record and raise my insurance. My renters insurance and motorcycle insurance already raised.

What does people in NC do? I am runing out of options. He does not have a car, because of the cost of insurance. If he has to pay this insurance, might as well he owns a car.

He only needs a license for when visit me and he drives my car, or an occasional situation where he might need to drive somewhere with someone else's car.

What do people in NC do to get licenses?

rant: why is it that NC doesnt just insure the cars and not every single driver. This is the first time I am hearing of a state doing this.

Last edited by professorman; 04-04-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick Fat Nick
Default Re: getting License in North Carolina, Insurance MANDATORY without car???

Hell NC is where all the Mexicans go to get licenses and license their cars and not a one of them has any type of insurance.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt
Default Re: getting License in North Carolina, Insurance MANDATORY without car???

go to a differen't DMV that has to be wrong, i don't see how they can force you to have insurance?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

snbdc5 has disabled reputation

North Carolina makes you carry insurance on yourself not the car, thus the statement of him having to have insurance on himself without a car.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Have him get some bank statements sent to your house and get a VA license under your address.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
Have him get some bank statements sent to your house and get a VA license under your address.
duh

that's what i'm doing to get an NC license. piece of cake
Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by idkfa
duh

that's what i'm doing to get an NC license. piece of cake
Do you think that is witty? I gave him a solution to get a license...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

mechfan81 is an unknown quantity at this point

most of the people here in charlotte are illegals and none of them have insurance. i wouldnt worry about it, he fits right in.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
Do you think that is witty? I gave him a solution to get a license...
Witty? Nope, i just think it's common sense that should have crossed the OP's mind as he's already looking into other states. Surprised he hadn't tried it and just mentioned that's what i was doing to get out of this state's grasp.

Kinda feels like an underground railroad.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by idkfa
Witty? Nope, i just think it's common sense that should have crossed the OP's mind as he's already looking into other states. Surprised he hadn't tried it and just mentioned that's what i was doing to get out of this state's grasp.

Kinda feels like an underground railroad.
My bad, I read your post and thought it was sarcastic... Like you were saying I wasn't telling him how to get a NC license.

Carry on.