Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

General wieght reduction question

Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation
Smile General wieght reduction question

Ya so im wondering if theres a math formula or a rough estimate.. Where like 100lbs removal equals +15hp or something in that ball park. Reason im askin is cause i got a huge sub box and subs in the back of my s13 and when i took them out today it felt like I gained atleast 20hp.. Dunno though and would love to find out. Subs+box wiegh about 100-125lbs ... so just throw in some reasonable numbers and Ill be able to get in the ball park and decide whether to put them in or sell them.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp
Default Re: General wieght reduction question

"i got a huge sub box and subs in the back of my s13 and when i took them out today it felt like I gained atleast 20hp.." thats really almost sig worthy, well done.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

you must not know what a 20hp increase feels like.

in a "hp guesstifuckingmation", 100lbs would feel like less than 5hp.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by dorydorydriftin
Ya so im wondering if theres a math formula or a rough estimate.. Where like 100lbs removal equals +15hp or something in that ball park. Reason im askin is cause i got a huge sub box and subs in the back of my s13 and when i took them out today it felt like I gained atleast 20hp.. Dunno though and would love to find out. Subs+box wiegh about 100-125lbs ... so just throw in some reasonable numbers and Ill be able to get in the ball park and decide whether to put them in or sell them.

Thanks

I think its the equivalent of 2 APC stickers.

DORYDORYDORYDORYDORYDORYDORY
Old 12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

i can feel a difference when my car is on a full tank vs an almost empty one

15gallons x 8lbs/gal = ~120lbs of fluctuating weight

and i only weigh 135 so my car probably just thinks its carryin around some heavy luggage instead of a person
Old 12-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered member

evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve

it depends on what type of mass is removed. Less rotational mass will feel as if youve gained more power, than stationary mass. I believe it goes like this:
100lbs stationary mass removed= .1 second gain in 1/4 mile
10lbs rotational mass removed=.1 second gain in 1/4 mile
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

joshuaa3 has disabled reputation

heres a linky http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

it looks like a 50lb reduction could be about 3 - 7 hp difference
Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

i'm so glad to know that if i take out my back seats, that'll increase the output of my motor!! who woulda thunk it?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Just add the difference in weight for the box, to the power to weight ratio equation of your car, at a stock power level, and weight. Then you know how much that the extra weight affected you, given that you are making your whole rated stock hp/trq.

power devided by weight=power to weight
Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Colonel Sanders

usmcbugle85 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Topik
I think its the equivalent of 2 APC stickers.

DORYDORYDORYDORYDORYDORYDORY
Yeah man, when I put a whole bunch of stickers of shit that I didnt have on my windows I think I gained like 45 to 50 horses. And then when I took out my sub box my engine started to produce way more power. It was like I added a nitro boost to my flux capacitor. And then, when I installed my drop in K&N filter my quarter mile time dropped like 3 seconds.

By they way if anybody hasn't seen that video of the guy with the "Special Edition" Mustang you have to check it out. Its on streetfire.net.

Anyways back to the original post. Dude, just throw some neons on there and you should be running sub 10s. Good luck

Quick Reply: General wieght reduction question