Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

General track/race car build question thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Now drives a SWagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi
Default General track/race car build question thread

I noticed there was no such thread,yet there are a handful of people on here expiranced enough to give solid advice and believe would be willing to shed some light

I'm really hoping to get more seat time this spring /summer and that I'm in NY I have a number of tracks within 3 hours from me. I have outlined goals and a budget I'd like to accomplish before then. My goals for the Z are:
1) Make it reliable
2) Make it safe
3)Make it handle
3a)put it on a diet
4) give it more power

So what are some good key items to get? What I have planned is cusco 1.5way, coilovers(fortune,bc, ohlins(lol)), a set of wider wheels eneki epf1s 18x9 preferably, and at least 1 race seat.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: General track/race car build question thread

Are you just looking to do open trackdays, or are you trying to target a particular racing class?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker Hijacker

If you're serious about suspension, look into koni. They make a damper that a lot of road track warriors swear by. KW also has a great set that Mike Kojima from motoIQ loves. I swear by SPL for my suspension links as they have been great at developing adjustment links for a lot of nissan chassis
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 AM
141.12 kHz

Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon Otacon

I know for the TL there's a pretty extensive diet thread on AZ. Some people have shed some serious weight from their cars. It all depends in how much of the everyday comfort you can stand to get rid of.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

Originally Posted by Fabrik8:7914169
Are you just looking to do open trackdays, or are you trying to target a particular racing class?
Well the Z starts in TTB and I was hoping to stay there,but use up the maximum points before getting pushed into TTA. I also know that there are classes that are set up by power:weight ratio and also a new specZ class,but the specZ seems rather lame. Wouldn't i be limited to HPDEs at first?

I have SPL UCA and tie rods

As far as diet, because i want the car to maintain street functionality, I'm just looking at seats,taking up sound deadening and switching to a single exhaust. That alone for the Z is about 120lbs
Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi View Post
Well the Z starts in TTB and I was hoping to stay there,but use up the maximum points before getting pushed into TTA. I also know that there are classes that are set up by power:weight ratio and also a new specZ class,but the specZ seems rather lame. Wouldn't i be limited to HPDEs at first?

I have SPL UCA and tie rods

As far as diet, because i want the car to maintain street functionality, I'm just looking at seats,taking up sound deadening and switching to a single exhaust. That alone for the Z is about 120lbs
Are you sure you want to put seats in? Bucket seats to and from for long trips suck ass. And if you want to make it safe, what are your plans? A cage, harnesses? If so that almost takes the street ability out of the equation unless you want to wear a helmet/ wrap all the metal everywhere you drive. I'm looking into RPF1's for my Subaru and they seem pretty solid/lightweight, but have you seen anything from H&R for coilovers? They make a very good setup for Subaru, I'm not sure how they are for Z's. Also before you start modding, I would start with just track time and mod and see how things feel for you and go from there. And I've heard to not run R comps until you are intermediate so you can learn from the screeching tires. Just some thoughts for you.

Last edited by Garrett93; 08-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Now drives a SWagon

A sit in a very comfortable fashion as it is. I sit at a 90 degree angle and very close to the pedals. No clue why, but I always have. So seats won't bother me much, also the 350z seats weigh 55 pounds apiece so I would benefit from buckets in more ways then one. I have a harness bar and plan to purchase a pair of harnesses. However, by safety I just meant making sure everything works how it should. No cage. No Hans device, like I said I would mostly likely be doing HPDE first and none of that is required yet, other than a helmet.
As far as seat time goes I have a bit of expirance. I've driven driftwater 3 times, I've done an event at Englishtown, and I did 2 Kart races at NJMP.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi View Post
A sit in a very comfortable fashion as it is. I sit at a 90 degree angle and very close to the pedals. No clue why, but I always have. So seats won't bother me much, also the 350z seats weigh 55 pounds apiece so I would benefit from buckets in more ways then one. I have a harness bar and plan to purchase a pair of harnesses. However, by safety I just meant making sure everything works how it should. No cage. No Hans device, like I said I would mostly likely be doing HPDE first and none of that is required yet, other than a helmet.
As far as seat time goes I have a bit of expirance. I've driven driftwater 3 times, I've done an event at Englishtown, and I did 2 Kart races at NJMP.
Well in that case you understand how things work for the most part. I'd be hesitant on a harness bar. I've read that harness bar's/ harnesses are useless if you don't have a cage. Actually they are more dangerous, as it would prevent you from ducking your head in the event of a roll over with no cage. I'm sure you have no intentions of doing so. But I would check into some different brands/ talk to some spec350 guys, maybe hop on one of their forums (if you aren't already). A general basis would probably just wheels, sways, coilovers, and more weight reduction.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Now drives a SWagon

The roll is located way behind the seats and ne used for my harnesses,I don't see how this could prove intrusive.

This car will most likely get me through my HPDEs where you need nothing more than a stock car. However,at englishtown they host time attack events so i'll most likely do those. I won't win,but i'll have fun.

I'm really hoping to pick up a Miata mid-winter
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Now drives a SWagon

Anyone have experience from switching from divorced rear to a "true coilover system"?

With the "true" I'd be eliminating the rear mid link or spring perch and I know I'd have to get rear toe links and rear camber links to replace. This all seems to be a huge extra expense when no one on the Z forum can give me a clear cut advantage to switching to the "true" other than..."well the more expensive coilovers are true" and the always famous "you get what you pay for"

Quick Reply: General track/race car build question thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: